Add a Hook to the Executive Child Theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Add a Hook to the Executive Child Theme

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Green Being 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Green Being
    Participant

To the Executive Child Theme, I would like to add three side-by side widget areas to the inside of the Genesis Top Widget area, so between the Genesis Responsive Slider Widget Area and the Call to Action widget area.  This would be easier if there was already a hook there, but there isn’t.

So the three widget areas would show up on the widget page above the Home – Call to Action widget area and below below the Home – Slider or Home – Top widget area.  If somehow I could just use one of those two widget areas above as a container, that would be good too.

Is this possible?

Green Being
    Participant

Okay, there seems to be more than a few articles about adding 3-column widgets to the footer with any Genesis Theme (e.g., http://www.wpsquare.com/add-3-column-widgetized-footer-genesis/), but it seems that that particular functionality is built in, maybe by popular request.  Not sure, but adding three columns of widgets to an existing widget area is what I want to do.

In essence, I would like to add three-column widgets to the Home- Top Widget area.  That would be simplest solution (given no nearby hooks) and I realize that I would have to edit the functions.php, but apparently not as simple as adding the following lines, as with the footer widget area:
    /** Add  3-column footer support in genesis */
    add_theme_support( ‘genesis-footer-widgets’, 3 );
    This must be possible, and not as a customization, as it was done with the DEMO to the Executive Child Theme.  Right?

Green Being
    Participant

Okay, call the dogs off of this one. :-)  I just did realize you could add more than one widget to an existing widget area, like the Home- Top in the Executive Theme.  Yikes!  I thought it was going to be something like with turning your footer widget into a 3-column widget area, which the Executive theme already had inbuilt.

Eric Hamm, of Genesis Extender and Catalyst fame, was quick to point this out to me.  I was looking for a way to do this with Genesis Extender, which is a fantastic plugin!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Add a Hook to the Executive Child Theme’ is closed to new replies.