Add Banner Area to Home Page Only

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Add Banner Area to Home Page Only

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel 2 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Daniel
    Participant

Hello!

I’ve only been working with Genesis for about a week or so and so far I love it. I’m running the latest version of both Genesis and WordPress and I’m trying to create my own custom child theme for a client of mine.

What I’m trying to do is a a banner area to just the home page that stretches the entire width of the page. A good example is this website which I found in the showcase: http://uca.edu/admissions. It looks like they were able to add a “featured-area” div between the nav and inner divs. It’s only on the home page though; that’s exactly what I’m trying to do. I have browsed the forum as well as other sites for help but so far I haven’t found any.

I wasn’t sure if this could be accomplished by adding and removing hooks. If so, I’m not a php guy or anything so that stuff tends to go over my head on occasion.

If you need any other info from me please feel free to ask. Here’s the link to the site I’m working on: dev.danielemerson.com/tmh/

The area behind the girl on the fence is supposed to stretch the width of the screen and have a solid black background. If a solution has already been posted for this and I missed it I apologize.

Thanks for your time,
    Daniel

Susan

The Simple Hooks plug-in could probably do the trick for you (the first example is for placing a banner ad above the header:)

http://www.studiopress.com/plugins/simple-hooks

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Daniel
    Participant

Hi Susan!

Thanks for taking the time and responding. I do have the Simple Hooks plugin and I find it very helpful but if I add my code to the hook won’t it appear on every page? I just want it to appear on my home page and I need it to appear outside of the inner div so it stretches the width of the screen. I hope all of that makes sense. :)

I would like to be able to add my own divs without having to place them in hooks… if that’s possible or that may be worst thing I can do. Like I said above I haven’t been working with Genesis that long.

Thanks again,
    Daniel

Doak Heggeness
    Participant

I have never used the plugin, but you need to use a conditional statement.

if ( is_home() ) {

Your banner code here

}

1) This assumes you have not set the ‘static page’ setting .. ie  you are using your blog as your home page.

For info on Conditional Tags

Doak Heggeness, WordPress Development | Website

Daniel
    Participant

Hi Doak,

That’s exactly what I needed. Got it to work ! Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Add Banner Area to Home Page Only’ is closed to new replies.