Add Buttons to Right of Home – Slider w/ Executive Pro Theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Add Buttons to Right of Home – Slider w/ Executive Pro Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  makhoul 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

makhoul

Hello!

In using the Executive Pro theme, is there a way to add buttons or any content to appear to the right of the Home – Slider (using Genesis Responsive Slider)? If I add anything to the Home – Slider area, it displays it underneath the slider.

I’d appreciate anyone’s help.

Thanks!

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Can you post a link to your site? It’s always easier to look than read. :)

Are you wanting to put text or buttons on top of the slider? I’m trying to make sure I understand what your goal is.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

makhoul

Thanks for your reply, Andrea!

Here is the link to the site in progress: http://www.stgeorgeaz1.org.

What I am wanting to do is put buttons, like you see below the slider now, right next to the slider on the right side.

Also, a separate question that just came up, is it possible to move the menu right next to the header image of the site?

Please let me know. Thanks for your help!

-Michael

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Re: the buttons, it’s possible but it would be pretty complicated. You would basically need to replace the slider widget area with two widget areas, one that is 2/3 width and one that is 1/3 width. You could then put the slider in the 2/3 area and the buttons stacked in the 1/3 area.

You can certainly move the menu – you just need to go to Appearance > Widgets and drag a Custom Menu widget into the Header Right widget area, then select your menu from the dropdown. If it looks okay, you can go back to Appearance > Menus and uncheck the box for primary navigation so it doesn’t appear twice. Hope that makes sense!

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

makhoul

Thanks for the information, Andrea!

Regarding the buttons, how do I accomplish replacing the slider widget area with two widget areas? I am still fairly new to WordPress and the Genesis Framework and I am learning as I go.

Thanks again!

-Michael

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Here are some basics on adding widget areas to your theme: http://my.studiopress.com/tutorials/register-widget-area/

makhoul

Thanks again, Andrea. I was able to accomplish what I wanted using the below code in function executive_home_sections() in front-page.php:

genesis_widget_area( ‘home-slider’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”home-slider widget-area” style=”width:750px;float:left;”>’,
    ‘after’ => ‘</div>’,
    ) );

genesis_widget_area( ‘home-slider-right’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”home-slider-right widget-area” style=”width:250px;height:333px;float:right;”>’,
    ‘after’ => ‘</div>’,
    ) );

It looks great on a desktop, However, when I go to a mobile device, it doesn’t look as great.

Any thoughts on how I can make this more mobile friendly?

Thank you!

-Michael

makhoul

I think I got this solved by using the width and height in percentages rather than pixels. Thank you though!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.