Add Responsive Slider to Balance Theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Add Responsive Slider to Balance Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jennifergrayeb
    Participant

I’d like to add the responsive slider to the Balance theme, right above my first blog post, but aligned with the top of my sidebar (like the Blog News Child Theme: http://wpcanada.ca/our-themes/blognews/).

I know I can put it on the left top widget, but the slider does not look right there.

Any ideas? I’m a Genesis newbie!!

http://aliciaplum.com

jennifergrayeb
    Participant

I figured it out! Still having some spacing issues, but this did the trick for anyone looking to add a widget area above their first post on the home page. Add this to your functions.php:

/** Register widget areas */
    genesis_register_sidebar( array(
    ‘id’ => ‘welcome-text’,
    ‘name’ => __( ‘Welcome Text’, ‘genesis’ ),
    ‘description’ => __( ‘This is the welcome text widget.’, ‘themename’ ),
    ) );

/** Add the welcome text section */
    add_action( ‘genesis_before_loop’, ‘custom_welcome_text’ );
    function custom_welcome_text() {
    genesis_widget_area( ‘welcome-text’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”welcome-text widget-area”>’,
    ) );
    }

jennifergrayeb
    Participant

One more question on this though – I only want this appearing on the home page, and not when you hit “next page” to see older posts. Ideas?

braddalton
    Participant

Hello Jennifer

Please copy the code from the view raw link and paste it at the end of your child themes functions.php file using a text editor like Notepad++

Important tip: Please use Github Gists when pasting PHP code into web pages as it can turn the Apostrophes around causing errors for other people who copy and paste it from a web page into their theme editor or functions file. Thanks

jennifergrayeb
    Participant

You are AWESOME! Thank you so much Brad! I’ll be sure to start following your blog.

braddalton
    Participant

No worries Jennifer.

Look forward to reading your comments.

mtraps
    Participant

Thanks for the information guys!

I am having a problem of my own. I added the above code to my functions.php file and I now have a Home Widget to drag the slider to, but I cannot activate the slider so it shows up on my home page. If you consider yourself a newbie with Genesis i don’t know what I would consider myself :S

braddalton
    Participant

Which slider? You will need to configure the slider settings. The above code simply creates the widget area.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.