Adding a leaderboard to Metro header

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Adding a leaderboard to Metro header

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Angela 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Angela
    Participant

I want to add a leaderboard to the Metro theme header. I want my logo on the left and the ad flush right.

What is the best way to accomplish this? I’ve tried a few things, but haven’t been able to quite pull it off.

I tried using the Header Right widget, but the ad does not show up at all. (I’m using a serving code.)
    I was able to get the ad to show up using Simple Hooks (genesis_header Hook), but cannot get the logo to line up properly. The logo ends up either above or below the ad itself. There is a lot of white space above the leaderboard placed in Simple Hooks.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Angela – I write fiction, review books and get walked daily by a big dog.

AC
    Blocked

Please post the URL of your site so we can take a look.

luv2beamom
    Participant

I have this exact same question about a site I am working on. I hope I can jump in here since I was going to post about this as well. Here is the temporary website. It is almost ready to go live except I can’t seem to figure out how to get the ad to move to the left and lower. It is right now a text widget in the header right widget area.

luv2beamom
    Participant

It looks like the link didn’t show up. Let’s try that again.

http://69.195.124.59/~busykid1/

Summer
    Participant

I did something similar with Slice of SciFi… it’s not quite as large a header as you have, but the header widget is using the 728×90 leaderboard ad. In fact, it’s also using Dynamic Widgets to use different ads on different pages/categories.

I changed my header logo space to be 350×90, and changed my header widget-area to this:

#header .widget-area {
    width: 67.592592592%;
    height: 100%;
    }

and title area to this:

#title-area {
    width: 32.407407407%;
    }

I think I had to do some fudging with min-height somewhere to get both areas to line up, but that’s the gist of it.

luv2beamom
    Participant

Summer, that did it! I need to figure out the padding, but this made the ad go where I needed it to. Thank you so much for responding. I was starting to give up hope of ever figuring it out. :)

Angela
    Participant

Thanks for this! I’l try this on our development site and see how it works.

Angela
    Participant

Thanks! I really hate messing with code, so I did a little experiment and got this to work. (But I’m hanging on to the coding above, just in case!)

I ended up creating a header image that is 1080×87. I put my logo flush left and left white space the rest of the way. Then, I put the ad serving code in the Genesis Header Hook – and it worked. For whatever reason, the Header Right widget is not working most of the time. I got it to work once, but it shrunk the ad (probably because of the sizing issue remedied by the #header/#title resize.

This is the first time I’ve really worked with hooks. Could this actually be a fix that will work long-term? Or should I go ahead with coding?

A link to the development site is below. This is a test area before we bring the new theme, so I can play to my heart’s content.
    http://dev.brownfieldagnews.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Adding a leaderboard to Metro header’ is closed to new replies.