Adding a "section" to Genesis child theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Adding a "section" to Genesis child theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Landon
    Participant

I am creating a child theme loosely based on of the sample child theme. I would like to add a call to action type banner with image much like http://www.upwardcreative.com they have here (blue banner stretching width below site-header).

My question is, would this be a widget area I would need to register? I am trying to figure out how to add to the child theme.

Also, do most people that build custom start with a blank css from scratch or do they start with the sample child theme? I wonder because there is so much in the sample child theme that as a novice it seems like I’d be scrapping an awful lot of css. At the same time, manipulating the existing css to fit my design seems difficult at times.

Thanks a lot!

Landon

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Landon.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Landon.

nutsandbolts

Most people start with the Sample child theme or another barebones child theme – I definitely wouldn’t feel pressured to start from scratch.

The easiest way to add a call to action would be adding a full width widget area. How you do that depends on whether you want the area to show up sitewide, just on the homepage, etc. Let me know and I’ll be glad to help you out. :)

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Landon
    Participant

Andrea, I got busy and never came back to this thread. So rude!! I ended up doing just that and creating a widget area and it’s on the homepage.

As far as starting, I am still using the Sample Child theme but really need to look around at some of the other starter child themes out there for Genesis. Sample Child is great but sometimes I feel like I am struggling to strip it down.

Thanks so much for the response and again, I apologize for not acknowledging it sooner!

Landon

nutsandbolts

No worries – life is busy! :)

Glad to hear you got it working!

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.