adding additional navigation menu to page template

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks adding additional navigation menu to page template

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Bourn 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Neco
    Participant

Hi, I’ve added a new page template to the “pretty young thing” child theme and hidden the existing primary/secondary navigation menus so they don’t show. I now need to create a third navigation menu that will only display on the new page template.

I did manage to create a “third” menu option that showed in the wordpress Appearance-menus area but couldn’t find out how to create a third option to assign it to as genesis/child theme only has the original primary/secondary options to activate.

The new page template is for membership pages so it needs to have it’s own unique navigation menu and not display the normal primary/secondary.

Any help appreciated.

Susan

Try this tutorial on adding an additional menu:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Navigation_Menus

It sounds like you’ve got the part about registering the menu – you just need to follow the steps to assign the menu. That tutorial should help.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Neco
    Participant

Thanks for your response.

I tried that tutorial before posting here and created a new menu option in the Appearance-Menus area but the theme only has primary/secondary areas to asign the menu which means it shows on all pages. That’s why I’m thinking I need to know how to add a third way to asign/activate the new menu to just the new page template.

Not sure if just adding the code in the tutorial will work with the genesis/child theme because the menus are activated in the genesis/theme settings area?

Susan

Hi – Neco – I wanted to follow up on this to see if you have this resolved? If not, can you please post a link to your site.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Brian Bourn
    Participant

We’ve built several membership sites in the past and usually use the Genesis Simple Menus plugin to create alternate secondary menus and assign them to the membership only pages.

Another option would be to use Genesis Simple Sidebars and create a membership section only sidebar and place a custom menu in a widget in that unique sidebar.

Bourn Creative | bourncreative.com | Twitter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.