Adding custom sidebars to Prose

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Adding custom sidebars to Prose

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wendycholbi 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

emilywhitedesigns
    Participant

I’m wanting to add a split sidebar under the main sidebar in Prose (for a total of three widgetized sidebars). I have added the following code to the Custom Functions area in the Custom Code screen but it doesn’t seem to be working. Any ideas? I’m rather new to working with Prose and things seems just a little different than the normal child themes.

// Register the sidebars with WordPress
    genesis_register_sidebar(
    array(
    ‘id’ => ‘sidebar-bottom-left’,
    ‘name’ => __( ‘Sidebar Bottom Left’, ‘theme-text-domain’ ),
    ‘description’ => __( ‘This shows up underneath the primary sidebar.’, ‘theme-text-domain’ ),
    )
    );

genesis_register_sidebar(
    array(
    ‘id’ => ‘sidebar-bottom-right’,
    ‘name’ => __( ‘Sidebar Bottom Right’, ‘theme-text-domain’ ),
    ‘description’ => __( ‘This shows up underneath the primary sidebar.’, ‘theme-text-domain’ ),
    )
    );

wendycholbi
    Participant

In addition to registering the widget areas, you need to add the widgets to one of the Genesis hooks.

Take a look at Brian Gardner’s tutorial for adding a widget, and modify that code for your sidebar widgets (most tutorials will tell you to add functions to functions.php, but Prose is different, and you’re already correctly adding your code to the Genesis –> Custom Code –> Custom Functions area. You could also use the Genesis Simple Hooks plugin if you prefer).

You may want to look at the Genesis Hook Reference and this Genesis Visual Hook Guide to see which hook to use (I’m guessing in your case it would be genesis_after_sidebar_widget_area).

Then, you’ll need to add some CSS to Genesis –> Custom Code –> Custom CSS to style your widget areas (making them each half as wide as the primary sidebar, and whatever other styles you need).

I love WordPress, Genesis, and the Prose child theme (my complete guide to using Prose is here: SiteSetupKit.com). Say hi on Twitter: @wendycholbi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.