Adding new widget areas

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Adding new widget areas

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Grimwolf
    Participant

I’ve tried to figure this out by searching on my own, but the subject seems pretty complicated. There’s no way I could just take similar code and adopt it for my own purposes as far as I can tell.

I’m trying to add a few new widget areas. My site, with the Midnight theme, has massive open space on both the left and right sides of the screen with absolutely nothing occupying it, and I wanted to add widget areas to each side so I can place ads there.

I also wanted to add a widget area to the end of each post so I can easily add things like social media links and possibly ads, and even found a page listing the exact code that in theory I would only need to copy and paste, but somehow the writer didn’t think it prudent to actually say where the code should go. http://www.briangardner.com/code/add-after-post-widget/

Could anyone tell me how to do this?

Susan

The first part of Brian’s code (the php) goes into your functions.php file. Technically, it can go anywhere in the file after the opening statement (the </php), but as a matter of practice, I usually put new code towards the bottom of my functions file.

The CSS part of the code goes into your stylesheet, and I would recommend putting it toward the bottom of the file, too.

If you’re interested in learning more, you might want to read Nick’s tutorial here: http://designsbynickthegeek.com/tutorials/add-widgeted-sidebar.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Grimwolf
    Participant

Brian’s code crashed  my site, but I was able to find what I needed from that link to Nick’s site. Thank you.

Susan

You’re welcome!

I’ll close this thread as resolved – go ahead and create a new one if you have another question!

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Adding new widget areas’ is closed to new replies.