Adding Widgets To Going Green 3.0

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Adding Widgets To Going Green 3.0

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mattOVM 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ryanc
    Participant

I would like to add a widget area to the top of the Going Green 3.0 theme so that I can have a slider or static image stay at the top of my site. I would then like to add another widget area below this so that i can have some welcome text. Lastly, would like to have the blog posts show up below this.

Everything I have found on adding in widget areas is for older themes and does not seem to work for this new theme. Any help would be awesome!

braddalton
    Participant

You could hook the slider in directly from your child themes functions.php file, no need to add a widget area.

Please copy the code from the view raw link and paste it at the end of your child themes functions.php file using a text editor like Notepad++

You can use another slider function in this code like the easing_slider()

You could then hook in a new widget area below that.

Change the hook position if needed.

Or you could code it in your home.php file.

You would need to add the CSS code to style it.

mattOVM
    Participant

I am trying to accomplish something very similar to Ryan. I would like to embed a video and a little bit of text above Current Posts.

I followed Brad’s advice above and used his code for the “Welcome Text.” I don’t need a slider so I left that code out.
    My assumption was that I could insert a Text widget into the Welcome Text, embed my video and and my customized text.

Everything works (http://onethingformen.org) except that I’d like for the video and welcome text to live within the primary post column rather than stretching across the entire top and pushing the sidebar down. I also noticed it seemed to change the footer up a bit. Rather than having a solid background across the entire bottom, it’s contained the footer background inside the content column and changed the footer layout/look.

I’m hoping these are simple CSS style issues. I’m fairly new with plenty to learn. Can anyone help me clean up my edits?

Thanks in advance for your time!
    Matt

braddalton
    Participant

Replace the code with this code:

mattOVM
    Participant

Brad, this is perfect. Thank you for your help!

Matt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.