additional (sub)menu ('s) on page with vertical menu system – best way?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion additional (sub)menu ('s) on page with vertical menu system – best way?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rob Wu

Hi,

I’m trying to wrap my head around the following….
    I’m building a website (xammp local for now…) with a vertical menu system like the ‘sixteen nine’ theme, so my main menu is on the left.

I want all of my normal static info pages have a small footer menu. I don’t want to add this to the vertical menu as it will become too busy.
    And in addition, my 3 static gallery pages will also have a submenu at the top, to toggle between these galleries.
    The submenu has to show AFTER the breadcrumbs.

I could add the menu(‘s) quickly as html/css block on a page, but that will make it a hassle to edit or add links to the menu’s. I would rather use the additional menu’s created in WordPress for this to keep things dynamic.

I read about plugins, hooks, templates and coding, but not sure how to address this. For side menu’s it’s a lot easier with the widgets and things. Still working my way through Genesis, but I’m getting more comfortable with it… ;-)

Oh, and I use ‘Visual Composer’ to design my pages btw.
    I hope I explained this properly, and any tips, links etc. will be greatly appreciated.

rob

nutsandbolts

I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be the following:

(1) Add a new widget area for the footer menu, and write a function to display it only on pages.

(2) Add a new widget area for the submenu and write a function to display it only on the gallery pages.

You can do a Google search for things like adding new widget areas to Genesis, WordPress conditionals, and the Genesis Hooks visual reference to give you an idea of how to get started. Hope that helps!

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.