Agency Pro Home Middle – Pages Possible?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Agency Pro Home Middle – Pages Possible?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jbculp 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

jbculp
    Participant

I stumbled across the new agency pro theme today and love it. Since I would like to use it for an Agency (go figure) it would be ideal to have the home middle image grid point to pages NOT posts. Problem is, the Featured Posts widget uses a post category so one occurrence of the widget can paint all 6 posts into the page (as seen in the demo). The featured page widget by contrast has one page per occurrence of the widget. So, if you put in >1 Featured Pages, the images don’t grid but line up vertically as one image with a bunch of white space.

How do I modify the functions.php to make this work on pages instead of posts?

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

sdbroker
    Participant

@Sridhar I was just trying to figure out how to do what you explained… Thank you! Will it also work the same if you use a text widget instead of a page or post?

@ Sridhar Will the way you explained here: http://sridharkatakam.com/replace-tagline-eleven40-pro-widget-area/ work for the Agency Pro to add a widget right after the header on top of the Top Page?

Thanks!

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

1) Yes. If the widgets do not have the same height approximately and do not appear nicely in the grid, then you will need to play with min-height value in CSS.

2) http://sridharkatakam.com/adding-widget-area-header-agency-pro/

sdbroker
    Participant

@Sridar #1 worked like a charm (I put it on the middle page), adding either pages, text or any other widget. The only problem (which makes sense since they are not posts) is that it doesn’t have that nice looking title on top of the page so it doesn’t look as good as the demo. It also doesn’t separate the middle and bottom pages if none of them includes posts. :(

I’ll be trying #2 now to add the top widget under the header! You are a genius sir! Thank you so much! :)

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

It also doesn’t separate the middle and bottom pages if none of them includes posts.

Can you give the URL where this can be seen?

sdbroker
    Participant

@Sridhar here it is: http://www.alexiourealty.com/

I can’t also get the #2 right… Whatever I put on that widget area (even text) below the header it aligns to the left not even the title centers and I can’t get the light background that I see on the picture you have on your “How to” post. :(

sdbroker
    Participant

@Sridhar Never mind the widget area… It works great! I changed the “home-future” name to something else and I forgot to also change it on the CSS. :)

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

Try this CSS:

.home .site-inner {
        background: transparent;
    }

.home-middle {
        background: #fff;
    }

jbculp
    Participant

Sridhar,

Thanks for the help, you always deliver.

In the time since I posted this last night and my coffee this morning it appears others have been hot on the trail so it seems this is a much desired feature. That said, my vision was to have the image grid (using page’s featured images) and text appear on mouse over. Will your solution address that? My long term goal is then to replace the post section with Woo Commerce products or to at least create a new div containing those products. But for now I’m hoping to get the image grid worked out.

Before I dive into this code, can you tell me if what I want to accomplish will be met with this example?

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

Before I dive into this code, can you tell me if what I want to accomplish will be met with this example?

No. What you see in the screenshot is what you get with my article.

http://sridharkatakam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-10-10_19-39-26.png

When I get time, I will work on what you want.

jbculp
    Participant

Thanks. It appears that this whole tricky overlay (nice work that it is) is accomplished with CSS. I can’t find anything in the functions or front-page that makes the magic work. I’ll mess around with it today. Thanks for your continued help. This is why I like the Genesis Community!

Cheers

jbculp
    Participant

Sridhar,

I was able to replicate the demo using a text widget and following the HTML of the demo page. There will be some styling because the default background on the text widget is white but still, it work initially. Since the demo uses posts, the code uses schema.org tagging to indicate the content as blog posts. If I use this with pages I’ll need to find the equivalent for pages. It also might make sense to copy the CSS elements and make new ones that are page specific and not for posts but still on the surface its working. CSS is a wonder. Would love your insights into how to make this css clean for pages.

jbculp
    Participant

Sridhar,

If you are still following this I have a question. Instead of fighting all this CSS, is it possible to make a custom post type that is only used for the home page, and use the build in functionality of featured-post? The only hangup I can see is blocking those posts from the blog and archive and somehow re-route the mapping to the actual page. Perhaps this just causes as many problems.

Thoughts?

tamjl
    Participant

jbculp, did you have any luck figuring it out? I want to accomplish the same thing as you but haven’t had success yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Agency Pro Home Middle – Pages Possible?’ is closed to new replies.