Agency Pro Home Middle – Pages Possible?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Agency Pro Home Middle – Pages Possible?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jbculp 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

jbculp
    Participant

Yes – sort of…Not to my satisfaction. Thanks for asking. I was writing my response and in the middle had a light-bulb moment. instead of deleting everything I’ll keep my text below and you can decide if either will work for you.

Here is where it currently stands. I have two versions on my test site.

#1. Less than satisfactory solution. I created 6 “fake” blog posts and using a WordPress plugin (Page Links To – made by Mark Jaquith) I mapped those posts to real pages. End result, 6 grids on home page just like demo that can have specific copy for the links. This can all be done using the theme setup instructions with the small addition of the plugin remapping.

Upside of #1
    – Upside is that there is no coding involved, simple plugin, copy/paste 6 urls and you are done.

Downside of #1
    – The posts will need to be filtered out of the blog and archive. Creating them as custom post types may help but then I’d need to determine how to do that filtering so I’m back in code.
    – The featured post plugin inserts Post metadata using schema.org format so these fake pages will have “post” metadata in the eyes of a web crawler
    – Have no idea what this will do to SEO (if anything) or a Sitemap
    – Solution #1 just isn’t nuanced. It uses post css to get the visitor to a page.

Solution #2
    – After a bit of tricky html copy/paste work from the demo I was able to create the exact same effect with one text widget. Initially the Text widget had a white background and inner padding which was unsatisfactory. (light bulb moment come here…) it turns out the widget for the home page has its own CSS which can be altered, so I did:

.agency-pro-home .content .widget {
    	background: #none;
    	margin-bottom: 80px;
    	margin-bottom: 8rem;
    /*	padding: 40px;
    	padding: 4rem; */
    }

Now I have 6 links to pages that look like the demo.

Also, I copied a HUGE section of the CSS and replaced the featured-post syntax with featured-page so each of these items has its own css element.

The styles still have the featured-post metadata so once I figure out (or likely am told) what the page metadata should be for a page I’ll alter the already nasty html. Thankfully I have dreamweaver to help visually with the editing but Textmate would likely work just as well.

Upsides to #2
    – Pages not posts – that’s obvious
    – The implications on the sitemap and SEO don’t make my brain ache

Downsides to #2
    – The metadata using a class of Article is still a problem.
    – The Title for the entire section is not working. Using the Featured Post widget, the CSS knows what to do to style the title before the entire block, center the text etc. The title for the text widget hangs above the left top. When I took away the white background it nearly disappeared with the backstretch image behind it. So there is still work here to be done.
    – The use of a huge piece of html in a text widget makes edits very difficult. If one’s goal is to create something that can be altered later… this solution falls short.

All in all #2 isn’t bad. If you like I can send you my incomplete HTML with the cavaet that it’s not ready for prime time.

I’m still committed to the belief that this theme should have had a design accommodation for using pages as well. The name alone (Agency) implies that this will be focused on business and corporate sites and the bias toward posts on the home page just doesn’t work so well here. I don’t want to sound like a troll because I really like Genesis and the tech support and community have helped me far beyond the reasonable amount… I’m just saying that WordPress is now 20%-ish of all websites in the world and 60%-ish of all sites using CMS solutions and not all of those are blogs (e.g. CNN).

I hope this helps. If anyone knows how to style the title to use the .agency-pro-home .content .featured-content .widget-title::before element then that issue goes away. Then the only issue is the meta data and general inflexibility of using a monster text widget.

There you have it. Hope you could make it thru all this text.

jbculp
    Participant

OOPS, forgot to add. If you make the text background go away, any other widgets on the page that are legit will not have the white background – that’s bad so one would need a custom class for this purpose.

tamjl
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas, jbculp. I considered going the route of your option #1 but rejected it because I want to find a clean coding solution instead of adding redirects, etc.

I’ll continue to play with it and if I figure anything out, I’ll post it here. I hope you’ll do the same! And maybe someone will notice our plea and help us out.

jbculp
    Participant

Tamjl,

GOT IT. Still using a text widget but got the background correct, the padding, the title etc. So still not as flexible as using a featured page widget but it works.

mediaguru
    Participant

Wow this an active stream and I am interested in the same…please do post a response on the schema info please.

jbculp
    Participant

Mediaguru,

If you are asking what did I use for the schema markup when pages were in play and not posts, here was what I did. I tested a Featured-Page widget in the home-middle. Per the previous posts, this didn’t yield the layout I wanted but in the code, Genesis marked up the information in schema.org compliant information. I’m going to take it on faith that the markup is correct for a page and my experience is that getting clarity on any schema markup is a challenge so I’m ready to accept the Genesis version unless someone stands up and says its wrong.

So that said, here is a sample from Featured-post from demo compared to Featured-Page form my test site where the page ID is 27.

Schema.org metadata for Post:

<article class=”post-257 post type-post status-publish format-standard category-work entry” itemscope=”itemscope” itemtype=”http://schema.org/BlogPosting”>

Schema.org metadata for Page:

<article class=”post-27 page type-page status-publish entry instock” itemscope=”itemscope” itemtype=”http://schema.org/CreativeWork”>

Since I’ve bludgeoned my featured-page solution in a text widget this was a nasty bit of copy/paste with changes for the post ID’s and because the images need to map and the content needs to map, there are URL’s a plenty in the code but the schema.org bit has one line for each of the 6 pages. I can’t speak to the “instock” bit but can’t tell you what any better code would say.

I hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  jbculp.

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

jbculp
    Participant

Sounds very promising. Can’t wait to try it!

sdbroker
    Participant

@Sridhar That looks very sweet! Can’t wait to try it either once the main plug-in I need to use gets compatible with the new HTML5 themes… Thank you sir!

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

sdbroker
    Participant

@Sridhar It’s an iDX plugin that displays real estate listings called Optima Express: http://wordpress.org/plugins/optima-express/

The plugin itself works fine but its CSS is messed up when used with HTML5 themes. I was able to override and fix most of it but I got stuck on a couple very important forms so I gave up for now and went back to the older education theme. :(

jbculp
    Participant

tamjl

yes… well it wasn’t me, Sridhar revisited the topic and replicated it for pages using Featured Pages. As suspected it was some CSS and it works wonderfully. I replaced his example of home-bottom with home-middle. Also, his CSS is one block. You’ll need to copy the upper portion into the style css and the bits that are media queries should probably go into their respective areas at the end of the style sheet, being careful to keep the sections nested. If you break things up like this, you won’t need the media query itself e.g. @media only screen and (max-width: 480px) { and its closing } .

Other than that, no issues. I am now able to mothball my rather painful but beautiful text widget.

John

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Agency Pro Home Middle – Pages Possible?’ is closed to new replies.