[AgencyPro] Quantity and Layout of Home Middle Widgets

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks [AgencyPro] Quantity and Layout of Home Middle Widgets

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Liz
    Participant

How do I change the Home Middle widget area to have 3-4 horizontal widgets with space between them? Each of these have Home-Middle-left, home-middle-middle, and home-middle-right widgets. How do I create these separate widgets and indicate different content in each?

Here are 3 examples of what I’m looking for (found on the Studiopress showcase)

I am guessing that there are changes to be made to front-page.php or some other templates, as well as to the CSS code.

nutsandbolts

To do this, you would need to:

(1) Add a new widget area (something like home-middle-middle2) in functions.php.
    (2) Add it to the conditional in front-page.php that calls the widget areas.
    (3) Alter the CSS for all home widget areas to make them 25% instead of 33% (may not be exact depending on padding).

After that, you’ll see the new widget area in Appearance > Widgets and will be able to add widgets to it.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Liz
    Participant

IN your step 1 above, if I add the following, I don’t see how doing this indicates several sections, unless you mean that I’d remove the original home-middle widget registered and replace it?
    genesis_register_sidebar( array(
    ‘id’ => ‘home-middle2′,
    ‘name’ => __( ‘Home Middle2′, ‘agency’ ),
    ‘description’ => __( ‘This is the 2nd middle section of the homepage.’, ‘agency’ ),

On the home page widget in CSS, there is no width specification, just height.
    .home-middle .featuredpost .entry {
    min-height: 380px;

nutsandbolts

No, I said Home Middle MIDDLE 2. :)

So you’d have home middle left, home middle middle, home middle middle 2, and home middle right. And since those should be sized around 33% width to make all three of them display side by side, you’d need to alter that width for 4.

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Liz
    Participant

So I’d replace the whole section registered under the name of home-middle with “home middle left, home middle middle, home middle middle 2, and home middle right”?

nutsandbolts

I’m just now understanding what you’re trying to do by putting this together with your other thread – having two going at once made me think you were working on two separate sites. I’ll respond in the other one to make things easier.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.