author credits

Community Forums Forums General Discussion author credits

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  little shiva 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

little shiva
    Participant

I’m designing a big site for an organization. We’ll only have a handful of member-authors who can log in and post, plus a few admins. We often pull articles from our organization’s sister sites, lay them out, add new pictures and post (with credit given to the original site, of course). In these cases, we’d like to attribute the post to it’s actual author, not to “admin” in the meta data under the post title. There will be hundreds of such authors we’ll need to credit: I can’t sign them all up as members. Does anyone know how I can do this? By the way, the old site I’m re-designing was built in joomla, and that’s possibly the ONLY good thing about joomla – that it lets you make up new users without having to enroll them as members.

Brian Bourn
    Participant

little shiva
    Participant

Ouch! That’s way scarier than me or anyone on my team can deal with. Isn’t there a plugin that can make this happen without having to go play with code? I looked at Genesis simple edits, but I don’t think that’s it. Adding authors will be a crucial feature of this job – I need to find an easy way to do it.

little shiva
    Participant

Also, there’s no way to even add users without having real e-mail addresses associated with them.

little shiva
    Participant

And just so I could say I at least tried, I took a deep breath, found the functions.php file for the NEWS theme, added the code as instructed on that link you sent, made sure I clicked all the buttons to make the guest-author addition take effect on the test page I made, and nope – it didn’t work. It’s still saying that that page was published by the admin’s name (default).

little shiva
    Participant

Oh, holy hell, it gets worse! I installed a plugin called Co-Authors Plus. Tried modifying an author” seemed to work in the backend, but not the frontend. I read the plugin’s FAQ and got this: http://vip.wordpress.com/documentation/incorporate-co-authors-plus-template-tags-into-your-theme/

I’m not a code person, and the people on the team who will be maintaining this site are even more clueless than me. I use WordPress precisely for that reason: so I don’t have to deal with code! But the ability to display authors in the meta data under an article’s title without signing them up as users is a crucial feature: I need to be able to do this. There MUST be another way!

little shiva
    Participant

HALLELUJAH! With a little more research, I found exactly what I needed: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-author-byline/

Problem solved!

Tip: I had to use the word “byline” in my search – duuh!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.