Automatic Featured image

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Automatic Featured image

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  flyingchangewebs 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rabbi Mitterhoff

Doesn’t it make sense that the image placed inside of a post should be the default featured image? Does anyone know of a plugin that does such a thing?

Get Inspiration for Personal Growth at rabbimitterhoff.com

http://rabbimitterhoff.com/

AC
    Blocked

Rabbi, where are you wanting the featured image to show up automatically? What location, i.e., home page, blog page, etc.

Summer
    Participant

Actually, no it doesn’t make sense that the first post image also be used as the default featured image :)

WordPress does not do this by default, but Genesis does, so if you’re using a Genesis child theme, your first post image should also be automatically being used as the featured image.

This Genesis feature can now be controlled, turned off by those of us who need to, as of Genesis 2.0 (thank you Gary Jones!)

But if your first post image is not showing up as a default featured image, and you’re using a Genesis child theme, then there’s something in your archives or blog configuration that has changed that behavior.

Rabbi Mitterhoff

Thank you. That was very helpful! The settings for content archives also has to be set for “display posts excerpt” as compared to “display post content” or else it will display 2 images but that seems like a fair trade off for not having to create a featured image for each post :)

Get Inspiration for Personal Growth at rabbimitterhoff.com

Gary Jones

thank you Gary Jones!

You’re welcome :-)

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 (all 90 of them!) | @GaryJ

Summer
    Participant

@rabbimitterhoff if you want to display the full post content, just make sure that “Include Featured Image” option is unchecked… then it shouldn’t display the first image as both featured image and as part of the post content. But if you want the featured image, then yes, the excerpt is the way to go.

flyingchangewebs
    Participant

I’m having trouble with getting the first image to be the automatic “feature”. I have genesis theme settings to show excerpts and feature image, yet I am still having to set the featured image for each post. HELP?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.