Background & Header Question

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Background & Header Question

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nick Davis 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tracyw
    Participant

My url http://dschurchofchrist.com

I have a custom background/header image (gray wood-type image), however, the background in both the header and footer below the 4-piece widget at the bottom, are both very black.  This isn’t part of the image either.  In fact, the header is a png from photoshop and was created with transparent background.  I’ve looked and looked in the CSS to try and figure out how to change the black to something lighter, but can’t see how.

On both the header and background dashboard admin pages, it shows NO color in the “background” settings.  The black, particularly at the bottom is too dark for the overall theme–I want to lighten the page up just a bit.  And no matter what image I use for the background, I still get this dark black at the bottom.  Any help is appreciated.

http://dschurchofchrist.com

Nick Davis
    Participant

Hi Tracy

There’s a couple of extra background images in the Outreach theme that are blocking you there. A quick way to fix this would be to add the following CSS code to the end of your theme’s style.css file:

`#footer-widgets, #footer, #footer .wrap { background: none; }`

The header looked OK to me?

- Nick

@NickCDavis. WordPress developer & Genesis fan boy living in Italy.
    Don’t want to set up your theme yourself? Try my new ThemeValet service.

tracyw
    Participant

Oh my goodness!  That worked perfectly!  I wish I knew how to know that on my own!   So the header…That darker piece underneath the png image must be part of the original image I used for that.  Looking at the image on its own, it does appear to be darker along the top of the image. Which makes sense I guess, if the png is transparent, laying on top of the background image…?

So, what is the key in the CSS line you gave me?  I know it all goes together to make the change, but is it the background: none?  That would make sense.  As you can see, I’m learning as I go along but am trying to understand it at the same time. CSS is all so confusing.

THANK YOU so, so much!

Nick Davis
    Participant

Hi Tracy, yes, the original theme comes with some background styles for the footer already added. What we did with that CSS was just to switch them off. Glad it helped, Nick

@NickCDavis. WordPress developer & Genesis fan boy living in Italy.
    Don’t want to set up your theme yourself? Try my new ThemeValet service.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.