Balance Theme – excluding category on home page

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Balance Theme – excluding category on home page

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bettina 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bettina
    Participant

Hi,

I hope somebody here can help me. I would like to exclude a category on the homepage for a site with the balance theme. I have tried this tutorial by Bill Erickson, added the code in functions.php but it didn’t work for me. Reading the comments it gets too technical for me to understand how I can remedy it.

My feeling right now is that it has something to do with how those posts are being displayed by the theme in the first place, but I really know way too little coding to try and attempt to muddle with it.

Any pointers ideas on how to exclude a category on the front? Thanks much appreciated

Bettina

braddalton
    Participant

Bettina
    Participant

Thanks Brad, much appreciate. Alas those solutions don’t help and I don’t understand the coding enough to know what to do. I did use Bill’s solution which looks similar if not the same but that didn’t help.

This can’t possibly be so difficult? Support says they can’t help as it’s customisation, but surely a theme like that for the front page you should be able to fairly easily say what category shows up and which not? Sigh, that’s a useless rant I know. Sorry :(

Just really frustrated with this.

braddalton
    Participant

Hello Bettina.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The solutions i linked to work because i have tested them and written an entire tutorial about 5 ways to exlcude posts in a category from displaying on the home page.

Please install WordPress locally with your theme and test them again,

Sorry i can’t provide an easier answer than this however i did include 2 plugins which make the job as easy as it could possibly be.

P.S I did notice the link you provided is returning a 404 page not found error message which may be a problem when using this code and plugins to solve your problem. http://brooksideadmin.co.za/wp/

Bettina
    Participant

Hi again Brad,

really appreciate you coming back and trying to help. I did us the plugins but it didn’t work. I have now in the meantime talked some more with support and we solved the puzzle by updating to the latest Genesis and WP, each was an iteration below and seemed to have been the problem.

It’s always the simple things that cause big issues ;-)

But this is why I love Studiopress, the support is unsurpassed! Glad I’m a client for life :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.