Banner sizes that are different from the IAB standards

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Banner sizes that are different from the IAB standards

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cehwitham 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tanzen
    Participant

I am going to use the Metro child theme and would like to have sidebar banners for advertising. Since the sidebar of this theme is 336px wide, the best ad sizes would be 2 160px wide banners side by side. This size however is not in the IAB list, does it make sense to use such banner sizes, or should I reduce the width of the sidebar itself to accommodate 125px wide banners?

cehwitham
    Participant

Hi Tanzen,

It depends really how you’re going to source your advertisers. If you’re looking to use Google Ads or a system where by adverts are automatically placed on your site, keeping to standard sizes makes sense. If you’re attracting local businesses who wouldn’t normally advertise online and therefore don’t have pre made adverts then a custom size wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

You need to make sure the barrier to entry of advertising on your site is as low as possible. If people have got to have custom graphics made up to advertise on your site oppose to other peoples, it may put them off.

Also you need to think about what happens to the adverts when the site is responsive and displayed on smaller screen sizes.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Twitter: cehwitham Web: cehwitham.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.