basic newbie question – where to start

Community Forums Forums General Discussion basic newbie question – where to start

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

danakay
    Participant

Sorry for such a basic question, but I’m setting up my very first Genesis/Prose site and have been reading through and listening to all the help – if I missed this my apologies. Do I go through the Genesis set-up helps first, then go on to Prose? Or does Prose, the child theme, include the Genesis steps? (Will also be adding Premise, but I’m sure that should come last?) Thanks in advance

AC
    Blocked

You install the Genesis Framework first through Appearance > Themes. You do not activate it. You then install the Prose theme through Appearance > Themes. You “will” activate the Prose theme. From there, go to the Genesis settings which now appear above the Appearance tab. You will see the Prose settings.

danakay
    Participant

Thank you. I must have done that, as the Prose theme is active and Genesis is not, but the Genesis settings appear as you stated. Appreciate your taking the time.

nutsandbolts

I would go ahead and set up everything the way you want it in the Genesis settings first, then move on to the Prose settings. It really doesn’t matter either way – you may decide to go back later and change things in either place depending on how you want the site to look – but I think it’s easier to get the main stuff out of the way before you start customizing. Honestly, though, there’s no right or wrong way; you can do things in whatever way makes the most sense to you.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

danakay
    Participant

Appreciate that info – right now I’m trying to figure out how to get the navigation bar to show up! back to the manual, I guess. It isn’t as difficult as I’ve been trying to make it – just so much to do and so many choices!

nutsandbolts

It’s a little overwhelming at first, but once you’ve set up a few sites you’ll be able to fly through it, I promise! Just a matter of getting used to where all the options are and what you can do.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.