Best Practices Plugins After Genesis + Child Theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Best Practices Plugins After Genesis + Child Theme

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mealtog
    Participant

So, what other plugins do others typically install after getting Genesis and a Child Theme up and running? Do you still install another SEO plugin? Would be interested to hear what others do here.

wp guy
    Participant

Yoast, Bad Behavior, Better WP Security, Custom Contact Forms and for Genesis usually Simple Hooks and the visual hook guide.

Mealtog
    Participant

Thought to check back. Anyone have more suggestions?

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

Best practices usually refers to coding specifically.

Whatever plugins are added to a site generally depend on the site’s goals.

**forum signature**
    If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Twitterholic

Mealtog
    Participant

Yes, I agree. I was wondering what are recommended plugins that I should look into. For instance, most WordPress sites will run Yoast. Are there any other “popular” plugins that anyone here would recommend.

Also, if anyone was to start a wordpress site today, would you use Disqus or WP’s default commenting system? Curious to see what others may do here too.

braddalton
    Participant

Here’s 4 i highly recommend:

1. Genesis eNews Extended

2. Genesis Simple Sidebars

3. Akismet

4. Jetpack

Personally, i use the built in Genesis SEO options and don’t install any SEO plugins, not even a sitemap.

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

Mealtog
    Participant

I see Akismet is still part of the default install.

Just installed Genesis eNews Extended, pretty cool! Bookmarked Simple Sidebars and installed Jetpack. Seems pretty powerful. btw, when you connect your wordpress site to wordpress.com, what actually happens in the background? Site is password protected during development so can’t do it yet.

Mealtog
    Participant

Since we are discussing plugins, is there a plugin that will update the slug of the post after we change the post title after it has been published? Drupal handles this with an auto 301 redirect. Is there such a thing in WordPress?

braddalton
    Participant

You could try Slim Jetpack as it doesn’t require connection to a WordPress.com account.

Its automattic. If the slug changes, the link still works because its assigned a post i.d which doesn’t change if the slug changes.

Mealtog
    Participant

ok, just remembered in WordPress, there is a massive problem if we change permalinks. There is no auto-update of slugs and links from all posts and pages.

ie. When I change Permalink Settings from Post name to Numeric, all links break within the Category pages. There has got to be some way to automatically manage this with a plugin in WordPress?

braddalton
    Participant

Yes. You can generate the code to handle this in your .htaccess file http://yoast.com/change-wordpress-permalink-structure/

Or install a plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-permalinks/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best Practices Plugins After Genesis + Child Theme’ is closed to new replies.