Best Tutorials for building a Genesis Site from Scratch

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Best Tutorials for building a Genesis Site from Scratch

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

netviper
    Participant

I have been searching, but I can’t really find any high quality ones that go from A to Z.

What have you found that is the best?

AC
    Blocked

I don’t think there are any tutorials, but from what I’ve learned… it’s best to take the Sample Child Theme and work from there. If you start from scratch – fully from scratch… you will be scratching your head until your hair falls out. Better to select the Sample that has the biggest chunk of the job done for you – then add what you want and subtract what you don’t want.

netviper
    Participant

I was going to use the Sample Child theme, but there still isnt much on how to add homepage widgets etc etc.

I love Genesis, but man the instructions are weak.

AC
    Blocked

A lot of things are piece meal and scattered all over. But how I learned… I have the PRO Plus Pack. If I want to have widgets on the home that look a particular way – I look at the other themes in the packages to see if one has it. If it does I just go and copy/paste the code out of one theme, along with the corresponding CSS and then hack that. I think because we all envision our websites to look differently, there’s no real science in how to put that together in a tutorial. There

IanP
    Participant

netviper
    Participant

Those are all very basic. Customizing Genesis from scratch isn’t basic at all.

Thanks though.

Marc

braddalton
    Participant

Here’s all the StudioPress resources http://www.studiopress.com/resources

On top of this, there’s hundreds of blogs with tutorials on how to customize and build a genesis child theme.

netviper
    Participant

Hi Brad,

Again, what you sent is super basic stuff. That is not what I am asking.

As for 100′s of blogs showing how to do what I am asking, kindly send me a link because I sure haven’t found a good one.

Also, I do have extender. It makes it life much easier, but I would like to be to able to do it without extender — hence the reason for my post. ;)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  netviper.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  netviper.

braddalton
    Participant

You’d need to be more specific as to what functions you want in your child theme.

I suggest you post a question for each specific solution you need.

The easiest way to build child themes is to start with the Sample theme and add to it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.