Best Tutorials for building a Genesis Site from Scratch

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Best Tutorials for building a Genesis Site from Scratch

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

netviper
    Participant

I have been searching, but I can’t really find any high quality ones that go from A to Z.

What have you found that is the best?

anitac
    Participant

I don’t think there are any tutorials, but from what I’ve learned… it’s best to take the Sample Child Theme and work from there. If you start from scratch – fully from scratch… you will be scratching your head until your hair falls out. Better to select the Sample that has the biggest chunk of the job done for you – then add what you want and subtract what you don’t want.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

netviper
    Participant

I was going to use the Sample Child theme, but there still isnt much on how to add homepage widgets etc etc.

I love Genesis, but man the instructions are weak.

anitac
    Participant

A lot of things are piece meal and scattered all over. But how I learned… I have the PRO Plus Pack. If I want to have widgets on the home that look a particular way – I look at the other themes in the packages to see if one has it. If it does I just go and copy/paste the code out of one theme, along with the corresponding CSS and then hack that. I think because we all envision our websites to look differently, there’s no real science in how to put that together in a tutorial. There

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

IanP
    Participant

netviper
    Participant

Those are all very basic. Customizing Genesis from scratch isn’t basic at all.

Thanks though.

Marc

braddalton
    Participant

Here’s all the StudioPress resources http://www.studiopress.com/resources

On top of this, there’s hundreds of blogs with tutorials on how to customize and build a genesis child theme.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

netviper
    Participant

Hi Brad,

Again, what you sent is super basic stuff. That is not what I am asking.

As for 100′s of blogs showing how to do what I am asking, kindly send me a link because I sure haven’t found a good one.

Also, I do have extender. It makes it life much easier, but I would like to be to able to do it without extender — hence the reason for my post. ;)

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  netviper.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by  netviper.

braddalton
    Participant

You’d need to be more specific as to what functions you want in your child theme.

I suggest you post a question for each specific solution you need.

The easiest way to build child themes is to start with the Sample theme and add to it.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.