Can't figure out the right header size

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Can't figure out the right header size

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SoFlaDesigner 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SoFlaDesigner
    Participant

I am building my first Genesis site using the Freelance child theme. I’m having trouble getting started. I’m trying to upload a graphic to be used in the header. In WordPress it says: Images of exactly 320 × 110 pixels will be used as-is. But no matter how much I resize the header image, WordPress immediately crops the image at least in half or less.

What am I missing here? It doesn’t seem to matter if I select standard or advanced under Genesis simple headers. I’m trying to follow the Genesis for Beginners user’s guide but it doesn’t seem to match my theme options. I really appreciate any suggestions you offer.

Thank you!

http://webmarketingstudio.com/holiday/

braddalton
    Participant

If the image is the exact size, it will be displayed as is otherwise it will be cropped.

To change this, you can change the values fo the width and height in your child themes functions.php file:
    [php]
    //* Add support for custom header
    add_theme_support( ‘custom-header’, array(
    ‘default-image’ => get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . ‘/images/hd.png’,
    ‘default-color’ => ‘efefe9′,
    ‘header-text’ => false,
    ‘height’ => 115,
    ‘width’ => 960,
    ) );
    [/php]

This code assumes you have uploaded a header image named hd.png to your child themes images folder.

Once you change the values for your image, you can use the Custom Header uploader to add your image or replace the file in your images folder.

You may also need to change the header values in your child themes style.css file under the Header section.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

SoFlaDesigner
    Participant

Thank you Brad. I’m not a PHP developer but I’ll give it a try. Thank you so much!

I took a look at the code in the functions.php file as you suggested. But for the Freelance theme, there is no graphic in the header. So maybe that’s why I’ve had so many weird problems like somehow it attempted to insert a grossly huge file.

I am wondering if there is a basic document that you know of that is a good guide for adapting a child theme. I seem to be unable to find where in the code some of the changes I’d like to make exist. For example, your suggestion to look into the function file allowed me to see some actions that I was not aware.

Is there something online (or in print) that is a good guide for finding the basic areas of code people are likely to want to modify?

Thank you again.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  SoFlaDesigner.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  SoFlaDesigner.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.