Category Specific Sidebar Help Please.

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Category Specific Sidebar Help Please.

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  seanerin72 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

seanerin72
    Participant

Hello all, as noted before I am working hard trying to get my site up in time for the school year (3 weeks to go). I have spent some time into creating category-specific sidebars…and I am struggling. Essentially, I want my “sophomore english” and “the human condition” pages to have unique sidebars (different from the home page and each other). I have two issues:
    1. With the Prose theme I have two sidebar options, primary and secondary. I edited the human condition category (using prose extras) to use the secondary sidebar on the right, yet, as you can see, it isn’t formatted properly. I am not sure how to correct its positioning. I have the following custom css code:

body {
    background: #f5f5f5;
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 1100px;
    }

#inner {
    width: 1100px;
    padding: 0 20px;
    }
    .content-sidebar #content-sidebar-wrap {
    width: 1060px;
    }
    .content-sidebar #content {
    width: 740px;
    }
    .sidebar {
    width: 300px;
    }
    .full-width-content #content {
    width: 1040px;
    }

.footer-widgets-1, .footer-widgets-3 {
    width: 335px;
    }
    .footer-widgets-2 {
    width: 340px;
    }

What should I add or adjust?

2. Ideally, I wanted to use the simple sidebar plugin to take care of my sidebar needs. I created a category-specific sidebar (English 10). I used the following code in custom functions to register the sidebar:

register_sidebar(array(
    ‘name’ => __( ‘English 10′ ),
    ‘id’ => ‘English 10′,
    ‘description’ => __( ‘Widgets in this area will be shown on the right-hand side.’ ),
    ‘before_title’ => ‘<h1>’,
    ‘after_title’ => ‘</h1>’
    ));

When I edited my category I was thrilled to see that under sidebar options, I could change primary from default to “English 10.” However, the sophomore page still shows the primary sidebar. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

seanerin72
    Participant

As I posted this in the wee hours, I am giving myself a shameless bump. :) Thank you…

braddalton
    Participant

Couldn’t you use the Genesis simple sidebars plugin for this?

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

seanerin72
    Participant

Thanks for the response. To be clearer, I am using the simple sidebars plugin. #2 in my post references my attempt to register a sidebar for my “sophomore english” page. If I could get some help with that, it may take care of my sidebar issues altogether.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Category Specific Sidebar Help Please.’ is closed to new replies.