Change a child theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Change a child theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Loudness
    Participant

Hi, what is the best way to change a child theme ?

Let’s say I’m working the the theme “educational” & want to change some CSS in the stylesheet.  If I duplicate the “educational” theme & rename it as a “new” child theme, any update done to educational in the future won’t be possible as I will face a choice : ” Update & Loose all my customization, or no update & keep all my custom CSS”

Let’s say my new theme name is “Wowtheme”  can I link it this way ? :

Studiopress framework

then educational  (child of Studiopress)

then “wowtheme” (child of educational) ??

is it possible to do it this way ?

Susan

You can’t have a child of a child theme – you could just create your own child theme (that is, name it “wowtheme” (child of Genesis).

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Loudness
    Participant

Ok, but what if Studiopress update their educational theme in 1 year ?   I wont be able to update my custom theme with the tweaked css of the last update without loosing all my customization ?  What is the best way to proceed ?     Is it possible to create just a “child” CSS file that override the “educational” theme style sheet ?  So in order :

Genesis framework CSS is read

Then the educational theme CSS is read

Then my custom CSS file is read (in a separate CSS file ?)   Or I just put all my modification at the end of the child theme css file ?

Susan

If StudioPress update a child theme, you aren’t forced to upgrade your theme. But, if you decide you would like to upgrade, then you need a way to keep your changes. You couldn’t have a separate CSS file. My recommendation is when you are updating your stylesheet, you keep good, descriptive notes inside the stylesheet, so that if you want to update, you will know what changes you made. It doesn’t necessarily have to be at the end of the child theme CSS file.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.