change hooks of secondary sidebar

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks change hooks of secondary sidebar

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  design_agency 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

design_agency

hi —

looking for some advice on how to change the position of the secondary sidebar*. i’d like it to appear in the “genesis_entry_footer” hook (instead of in the default sidebar widget location) on my pages and single portfolio pages, but not in my blog posts.

since the file for the secondary sidebar (sidebar-alt.php) is part of the genesis core files, im not sure 1) how to be smart about pointing it to a different location and 2) when i do, how to point it to my pages and single portfolio pages only.

any ideas?

thanks,
    emily

* using minimum pro, but added back in the secondary sidebar

http://dev.design-agency.org/

Lauren @ OnceCoupled

You’ll need to adjust the hooks and use some conditional logic. Untested:

if ( is_singular('portfolio') || is_page() ) {
         remove_action( 'genesis_sidebar_alt', 'genesis_do_sidebar_alt' );
         add_action( 'genesis_entry_footer', 'genesis_do_sidebar_alt' );
    }

This may take significant CSS re-styling. You may be better off using a template for those pages, forcing a full width layout, and then inserting a custom sidebar at the bottom of the page.

Best,
    Lauren

I do custom WordPress work! http://oncecoupled.com
    Contact me directly: lauren@oncecoupled.com

design_agency

hi lauren,

thanks so much for this. it makes perfect sense to me, though when i try it out i get nothing. i’m not quite sure where to go from here and might look for another design solution. nevertheless, thanks for your suggestion!

emily

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.