Changing CSS codes and Grandchild Themes

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Changing CSS codes and Grandchild Themes

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Davinder Singh Kainth 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Genesis Child

I have two questions. That are basically directly related to one another.

Firstly. I am running the Genesis Sample Theme over top of The Genesis Theme. So basically using the Genesis Sample Theme as the child theme and the Genesis Theme as the Parent Theme. I am currently changing the codes in the style sheet so that my site looks the way I want it to. So so far I have changed the font size of Page Titles, and Headers like H1 through to H6.

Is this the best way to go about this?

Secondly I have just read an article about Grandchild Themes. From what I understood of it it is telling me that altering a child theme can be just as disastrous in the long term as altering the Parent Theme. The reasoning given was that if (when) the Child Theme gets updated, and I update, I will lose all my changes. It suggests creating a Grandchild Theme and running that over top of the Child Theme.

Is this recommended or even necessary?

Thanks in advance

Genesis Child

Genesis Child

Ok. So I have concluded the answer to my first question is that yes it is ok and the best way to do this.

The second question remains unresolved for me at present.

Davinder Singh Kainth
    Participant

First question, you are doing correct!

Second question, child – parent theme concept’s main advantage is – the framework theme is updated / upgraded when new version of WordPress is released. During this, no changes happen to child theme hence all your custom modifications remain intact. To summarize: Framework theme is updated, child themes do not get updated (they may have all-together new version like News -> News Pro). You are just going over-board with grand child theme concept – stick with child-parent theme – it works!

Need website customization services or other Genesis / WordPress help ?
    Davinder @ Design Studio iGuiding Media | My Blog | Fresh Genesis Themes Collection

Genesis Child

You my friend are a Legend! Thank you very much. My mind is now at ease regarding this matter. Where is the like button on this forum? lol I would have just given you a thumbs up!

RESOLVED!

Thanks

Genesis Child

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Genesis Child.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Genesis Child.

Davinder Singh Kainth
    Participant

Welcome!

Need website customization services or other Genesis / WordPress help ?
    Davinder @ Design Studio iGuiding Media | My Blog | Fresh Genesis Themes Collection

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.