Changing how Magazine Pro looks on the iPad

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Changing how Magazine Pro looks on the iPad

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  emasai 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Fitness Blogger

I have finally made my new site TheFitBlog.com look decent on the computer and on the iPad’s horizontal view. However, on the standard iPad view, the theme insists on moving the primary sidebar down below the main content. To me, that’s the wrong way of doing a responsive theme. I would much prefer that the sidebar was always visible (unless the screen is very small) and the main content adjust.

Is there any way to change how the responsive function works, so I can still see the sidebar on the iPad?

Thanks a lot!

http://thefitblog.com

emasai
    Participant

The (max-width: 1023px) media queries control the width of content and sidebar on the vertical iPad, at the moment they are set to 100% width. You will have to modify them.

Need Website Customization or a Responsive CSS fix? Contact Me
    Lynne emasai.com

Fitness Blogger

Thanks.
    The problem is that when I try to change the width (say to 50%) the content and sidebar will be side-by-side as they should be, but the sidebar will take up all the space. I have set the sidebar width to 250px everywhere I can find it, but it keeps jumping back up to 360px when viewed on the iPad. I think I may need some way to always set the sidebar to always be 250px (that will make the site unwatchable on a mobile phone I think but I don’t really care about that). Can you help me?

emasai
    Participant

The media queries for the sidebar and content and still set to 100% width. So if you DO NOT want them to go to 100% width, you need to delete those 2 tags from your (max-width 1023px), they will then use the preceding rule, which is probably 250px width for the sidebar and 630px for the content. Then you can add them back to the @media only screen and (max-width: 768px) as 100% width.

Let me know how you get on.

Lynne emasai.com

Fitness Blogger

Thanks,
    When I just delete the 100% width, the sidebar stays at 250px as it’s supposed to. However, it still moves down below the main content because the main content doesn’t adjust in size to allow for the sidebar. I am not sure what you mean by “adding them back in”?

As you can probably tell, I know nothing about coding, so any detailed help you can give is super appreciated :-). I am just mucking about trying to make it look decent. I should probably have gotten a theme that wasn’t responsive…

emasai
    Participant

I think they all are nowadays, it’s just that you don’t like the way it behaves! Responsive css is not easy for a beginner. I can help beat it into submission…LOL. Contact me through my website.

Lynne emasai.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.