Changing Magazine theme to wide width

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Changing Magazine theme to wide width

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anitac 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

TeeTide
    Participant

Hi guys. Just took the Genesis plunge. Nice to meet y’all.

I’m using the Magazine theme. My first order of business is to change the theme to wide width like Metro (ie…1200px). Is there a guide or tutorial anywhere showing the CSS tweaks needed to make Magazine a wide width theme? If this is something one of you has already done, would you be so kind as to share how you did it?

Also, this may be a stupid question, but from a technical and functional perspective, is there any disadvantage to using an older theme like Magazine versus a newer theme like Metro?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

anitac
    Participant

Which Magazine theme are you using when you say “older theme”. I don’t see any disadvantages to using it. However, when you want to modify a theme the way you do – it’s a bit more complex. When you change the entire width, you need to change the other areas also such as the widths to the sidebars, for example – Home Middle Left, Home Middle Right, Home Bottom, etc., etc., so you are making changes to pretty much everything in order to accommodate a wider site. In addition, you have to make sure that you edit the media queries, if necessary, to maintain the responsiveness.

So… not that there’s a disadvantage – Metro is already wider and needs no work, while Magazine needs a lot of work. That’s just my opinion.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

TeeTide
    Participant

Thanks very much for the response anitac.

I’m referring to the Magazine theme named “Magazine Theme”. :) http://demo.studiopress.com/magazine/. It’s absolutely perfect straight out of the box with the lone exception being the width.

Would changing the header on Metro to match the one on Magazine Theme be less work? (ie,,talking about the full width black header with both nav menus and advert position)

Thanks again for your help and insight. Greatly appreciated.

anitac
    Participant

You’d have to pull those areas out of the wrap. You could use Carrie’s instructions here – http://www.carriedils.com/customize-genesis-move-header/2182/.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.