Changing width of site and column widths

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Changing width of site and column widths

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  faith 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

faith
    Participant

Hi, I downloaded a studiopress theme so I could redesign someone else’s blog, which needs to have the main content area for posts and a sidebar. The problem is that the images in her post require a wider main content section and a wider sidebar than the theme provides, and thus a wider width than 960px altogether. I’m proficient in html and CSS, but still fairly new to WordPress. If the StudioPress theme I’ve downloaded is only 960 px wide, should I just find a wider theme, or is it easy to change the width of the site and column widths? (That means I’d also have to change the width of the header and footer, and who knows what else.)

Susan

The easiest solution is to find a wider theme :)

But, a theme with a width of 960px can be fairly easily changed if you are comfortable with CSS (I did it on my own site when I first started playing with StudioPress, and I had NO CSS knowledge at that time).

Here’s the visual markup guide, which will show you all the areas you will need to change:

http://www.studiopress.com/images/gen_markup.png

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

faith
    Participant

Thank you Susan. I also found and installed the Genesis Visual Hook Guide which includes that Markup option, so hopefully, I can figure this out and not break the layout.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.