Child theme from scratch – header logo image

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Child theme from scratch – header logo image

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  colkav 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

colkav
    Participant

Hi,

I’m learning genesis, css, and how it all fits together.  I’ve created my own child theme, and copied the css file from the Genesis parent into my child theme.

I’ve created a header image, now i want to add that image. Just to clarify, i’m doing this to get my head around the fundamentals, and how it fits together.  So, to add my image to the header, is this something that is specified in style.css, or in child-theme/functions.php, or both?

As i’m creating a theme from scratch the header options in the WP dashboard are not present…

I can understand that this might be something you could write a book on, but perhaps being pointed in the right direction might help my understanding.  I’m not looking for step by step directions (although that might help), just, is it a hook / action, or a bit of css?

Many thanks,

colkav

Peter
    Participant

Adding the following code to your functions.php file will get you started;

[php]add_theme_support( ‘genesis-custom-header’, array(
    ‘width’ => 960,
    ‘height’ => 160
    ) );[/php]

You’ll also need to add CSS to your style.css file to make sure it displays properly.

The official documentation on custom headers is also worth reading;

http://codex.wordpress.org/Custom_Headers

Twitter: petercoughlin

colkav
    Participant

Thanks Peter, that’s a perfect start!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.