City Versions for Genesis

Community Forums Forums General Discussion City Versions for Genesis

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JohnP 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

JohnP

Hello everyone,

I’m looking to have a Genesis site that has a city selector on the landing page that leads readers into the site with specific content for each city.

The catch is that I would like only the widget areas to be city specific – that is the URL for each post and page would remain the same and only the widgets (sidebars, banners etc) would change.

Yes, I know this is a job for a CMS like Drupal. But is this possible in WordPress/Genesis – say through relatively straight forward PHP coding or some similar manner? Or has widget management evolved to the point where this is easily accomplished through plugins?

Cheers

David Chu
    Participant

Hello,
    That’s a very complex question. It very much depends on what you want to display.

If you didn’t have the eccentric requirement of not changing the URL, this could be done by having each city be a Category, for instance, set up menus accordingly, and then maybe use Genesis Simple Sidebars or various other PHP ways of serving up a variety of sidebars in different places. You could also use Taxonomies (gee, that’s actually kind of Drupal-ish). Then there are entire commercial themes (non-Genesis) that are geared towards great big portal sites, if that’s what you’re shooting for.

I guess you could manually code some stuff to have persistency for the city you selected, and branch off in that way.

If you dump the “same URL” requirement, possibilities open up. You could do multisite, or any number of things. To me, having different URL’s may actually be helpful from an SEO perspective. Then you get the city into your URL, for instance.

That’s my 5 pence.

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

JohnP

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.