Combining Theme Functionality

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Combining Theme Functionality

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  scoe 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

scoe
    Participant

To quote support:

Combining theme functionality is a completely valid method of customizing a theme!

You can copy widget areas, registered widgets and css from one theme to another. However, it may take a little fine tuning to get things perfect.  If you have a specific need, I would suggest opening a forum thread to get suggestions on how to proceed.

I wonder if anyone here has combined theme functionality and if we could develop general tips on how to proceed that are not linked to a specific theme. Here is one person here who has done it.

http://www.studiopress.com/forums/topic/home-php-like-news-for-decor-theme/

I am just embarking on this now.

– S

Susan

I wonder if anyone here has combined theme functionality

I combined Pretty Young Thing and Modern Blogger on my own personal site. I don’t have any trips handy – it was mostly a matter of trial and error – I took the things I liked from both themes to create a site which combined the functionality I was looking for. I did it within a month of first getting involved with StudioPress, so I know it’s something that someone with not a great deal of experience can do.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

scoe
    Participant

Hi Susan,

What a great site! Sweet. Thanks for responding. It’s an encouragement.

So when you upgrade your theme? Are there issues?

Thanks,

SCOE

Susan

When you upgrade Genesis, there isn’t any issues.  Typically, child themes don’t tend to get updated very often, and when they do, it’s not an automatic upgrade. If you go ahead and create a hybrid theme, you don’t want to upgrade your child theme, because it will over-ride the changes you have made.

I recommend keeping a backup of your functions.php and stylesheet, and if there is an upgrade to the child theme, see what has been changed, and decide whether to incorporate those changes into your theme.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

scoe
    Participant

Thanks Susan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.