Comments on home page

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Comments on home page

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WatersWard 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

minimalblogger
    Participant

I’m trying to add comments to the homepage of the Fabric theme. Based on a search of these forums, I added the following code to functions.php:

add_action( ‘genesis_after_loop’, ‘genesis_comments’ );

Visually, it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Upon inspecting the code, I find this at the bottom of the post:

<div id=”comments”>
    </div>

But that div is empty (that’s a direct cut & paste; not edited). I initially thought that maybe the post data didn’t exist (since it’s happening *outside* the loop), and changed

genesis_after_loop

to

genesis_after_content

but that doesn’t seem to have helped either.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

http://recoveringshopaholic.com/

braddalton
    Participant

Where exactly do you want to display the comments based on this visual hook guide? http://genesistutorials.com/visual-hook-guide/

Rather than edit the home.php file, you could use a custom function or create a widget area in the hook position you want to output the comments. You can then use the recent comments widget which is a default WordPress widget.

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

minimalblogger
    Participant

That’s an awesome page! I’d like the comments to show up somewhere in the

genesis_after_post_content

genesis_after_post

sections. Basically exactly where they show up in any other post that’s *not* a homepage post. And to clarify, I need the comments from the post itself – not the most recent comments across all posts.

In short, I just need

http://recoveringshopaholic.com/

to look exactly like

http://recoveringshopaholic.com/project-333-week-four/

I would cheerfully use a custom function, but what’s got me confused is that this *should* be possible with a simple line of code like the one I already tried. I just need to tell Genesis to do whatever it normally does with comments, only do it on the homepage too.

I keep thinking that this shouldn’t be this hard. :)

braddalton
    Participant

There’s no home.php in your theme so you need to use a custom function.

I’ll test the function for you first.

minimalblogger
    Participant

Brad, thanks for any help you can give! A custom function would definitely work; I just have no idea how to even pull that off – I’ve been trying to hack away at things in functions.php and modify hooks, etc. but I’ve had *zero* luck.

With that comments div being empty, I get the feeling that somewhere comments are supposed to be loaded by a query, but they’re not. That’s what’s got me really confused. I think if that riddle could be solved, I’d be okay.

Anybody have any thoughts on that?

braddalton
    Participant

Hi

I did find some code which i tested for several hours but just couldn’t get it to work. I’ll keep trying and hope someone else can jump in with the solution. Thanks for being patient.

bcoco
    Participant

This one is stumping me, too. Anyone get this to work? (Seems like such a simple thing – have a post with comments on the front page. Y’know?)

WatersWard
    Participant

Stumping me too. Just keeping this post going in the hope that someone finds a solution…

Doug Ward

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.