Copy elements from our main website to style our blog

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Copy elements from our main website to style our blog

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TowelsRus 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TowelsRus
    Participant

We have had to host our blog (blog.towelsrus.co.uk) on a sub domain to our main site http://www.towelsrus.co.uk as our site hosts wanted lots of money to do this and integrate this for us.

I am trying to style the blog as per our site, however I am struggling with pulling in elements from our main site to the blog such as the search at the top, account login etc. Same goes for the footer.

Is there any way of pulling in dive elements from our main site to the blog? Apologies if this is not correct, I am fairly new to css etc. so trying to understand it as I go.

AC
    Blocked

Are you using the same theme on the new hosting or building a brand new website? Give an example of one of the things you are trying to duplicate on the new site from the old site.

TowelsRus
    Participant

Hi

We are using the agency theme, our website is not word press based its .net based.

I’d like to copy essentially the header and foot of the site, so on the header there is a search bar, basket, some links to my account, contact us etc. and the footer I’d like to duplicate all the links etc as well. We do now have facebook and twitter pages so i might incorporate feeds from these into the blog as well to make it nice and social.

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards

Craig

AC
    Blocked

You can use Firebug with Firefox to review the code on the original site and then re-code the CSS on the new site. You cannot copy and paste the code as these two platforms work totally different. Are you keeping the eCommerce site and only wanting to design your blog to match the eCommerce website?

TowelsRus
    Participant

This is what I have been doing and just wondered if there was anything else I could be doing in order make it quicker and more simple.

Thanks for your help

AC
    Blocked

As far as I know, no. Especially since they are two different platforms. The CSS calls in each are different.

TowelsRus
    Participant

That’s what I thought.

However I am being told that there is a way of us to essentially get our blog displayed as towelsrus.co.uk/blog rather than blog.towelsrus.co.uk so essentially we can host the site where we like but it will be noted and seen as a page on TowelsRus.co.uk. Just waiting fro some info.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.