Copy of Minimum Portfolio Displaying 1 column Only

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Copy of Minimum Portfolio Displaying 1 column Only

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

eliserochelle
    Participant

Hi,

Just wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot the issue I’m having.

I created a custom post type (with Custom Post Type UI plugin) and duplicated the archive-portfolio.php and single-portfolio.php to use for this custom post type.

I had assistance on another thread to check how to do this and it’s working fine except that it’s displaying as 1 column (taking only 1/3 of the page) instead of 3 columns …

I’d really appreciate if someone could have a little look – I’m sure it’s likely something simple that I’ve missed.

Here’s the page: http://soulstories.net.au/hire

Thanks in advance!

Elise

http://soulstories.net.au/hire

braddalton
    Participant

Just duplicated the portfolio successfully using all the existing code from the theme. No plugins needed.

Its a fair amount of code and work so not sure how to get this to you Elise.

I can email you the child theme if you like.

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

eliserochelle
    Participant

Oh thanks braddalton, so it’s not something simple?

Is it the plugin causing the issue? I’d rather stick with the plugin if possible otherwise I might just get totally lost again.

Really appreciate your help, thanks so much

braddalton
    Participant

I think its the CSS causing the problem.

braddalton
    Participant

I also just published a post about how to do this which may help.

eliserochelle
    Participant

Thanks so much! Great idea posting it on your blog so other people can use it too. Sorry for the late reply, I was away for the weekend.

I’ve copied over the functions code and the css (renaming second to hire) however, it’s still only 1 column though now it’s centred.

I must’ve missed something but I can’t work out what after checking through it all again.

Elise

braddalton
    Participant

You’ll need to play around with the width value in the CSS to get it working right on specific themes.

This rule works for 960px width themes so you can use it as a guide as to what CSS to modify.

eliserochelle
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using the Minimum theme so shouldn’t the 340px width work? The portfolio is working fine but there’s something missing in the copy (hire) version.

Could it be something missing from the functions file? What’s the code that tells it to display in 3 columns?

When I view the source of the duplicate (hire) it shows for this div
    <div class=”post-575 hire type-hire status-publish hentry entry”>

This css:

.post-type-archive-hire .hire {

margin:0 0 20px;
      text-align:center;
      width:100%;

}

When I look at the portfolio source (firebug) it shows for this div

<div class=”post-721 portfolio type-portfolio status-publish hentry entry”>

this css:

.post-type-archive-portfolio .portfolio {

float:left;
      margin:0 15px 30px;
      width:340px;

}

I’ve played with the width but even when I use !important it doesn’t change anything (not even ridiculous sizing makes the size change). I’m not sure why different css would show but I’ve played with everything I can think of and nothing changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Elise

braddalton
    Participant

Not sure Elise. I tested the code locally using the minimum theme and published the exact same code in a tutorial and it works.

Even using it on my own site and all i did was change the width to 330px. So try that and see what happens. I do know different types of server and browser caching can make it look messed up for a while.

I would copy the code from a fresh download of Minimum and test it locally first. Make sure you use Notepad++ to search for all CSS using portfolio so you haven’t missed anything.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.