copying theme feature to another theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks copying theme feature to another theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jjesenovec
    Participant

I have a daily interview podcast. I like part of the apparition theme, particularly the theme’s main feature of alternating circular images on the blog page (which are featured images. It is great for placing a profile picture of each guest.

But I don’t completely like the layout of the Apparition theme. I would like two columns and a widgetized area above the blog posts. I would also like a full width slider above all of that. I would like to get the brand new them, Beautiful. It has the two columns and the widgetized area. However, I would like to have the alternating circular featured images from the Apparition incorporated in the them “beautiful.” Is there a particular file I can copy to make this work for me?

On the Beautiful theme, I’d also like to replace the long header image with a slider or make it a full-width slider? Is this possible?

braddalton
    Participant

StudioPress child themes enable you to take features from one theme and use them in others.

You will need to copy both PHP and CSS which may also nee tweaking as different themes use different widths.

Generally, the PHP code will generate classes which you can find in the style sheet using the search and find feature of a tool like Notepad++. Then you can work out which code needs to be used to make the featured work.

The way i go about this is to test it out locally and make sure it works there before implementing on a live site.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

jjesenovec
    Participant

Thanks Brad. It has sort of worked. I was able to get the circle profiles like I wanted. I am having difficulty getting the circles (featured images) to alternate from left to right side on alternating posts. I will keep working at it.

braddalton
    Participant

I would be interested to see the result when you have finished.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.