Craftiness: Category template

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Craftiness: Category template

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

curlscoffee
    Participant

Hi,

I have set-up a category to post to a separate part of my blog to create a ‘stream’ type area.  However, there seems to be a different layout for custom categories with the craftiness theme.  I have searched but can’t find anything about what I can do to make it like a normal blog layout.  Is anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance,

Amy x

http://www.curlsandcoffee.com/category/stream

David Chu
    Participant

Hi Amy,

Your site looks very nice.  I don’t have that particular theme, so I can only comment generally from here.  [I wonder if the authors of 3rd party Genesis templates provide support - they might]

That is an intriguing way to present the categories, it’s attractive but I can see that it’s not overly “streamish”.  Generally, to get a special category template, you’ll have a file in your theme called (amazingly) category.php, or possibly a similar name if there’s a category template that’s even more specific.   You can take a look under Appearance…. Editor, and look over to the right and you should see this file there.

If this file doesn’t exist, Genesis will default to a normal blog archive layout.  I would look for the category.php file, make a backup, and then delete it from the theme.  Then I’d peek at the Category output again and see what it looked like.  I would not suggest trying this if you’re not highly geekie.   :-)    That’s my best guess from the outside.

Cheers, Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Susan

[I wonder if the authors of 3rd party Genesis templates provide support - they might]

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but to answer David’s question – yes, the StudioPress Community Theme developers have their own support; it’s usually e-mail support. As a general rule, their support is restricted to theme set up or technical issues (just like the official StudioPress support), but some of the developers will provide as much customization support as their time allows – (speaking from personal experience, as I provide support for two of the Community developers) when I’m not here…

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

David Chu
    Participant

Susan,
    Very helpful! I have been using Genesis continuously for a very long time now, and I didn’t see any clear policy on the “marketplace” themes’ support level. That doesn’t mean there isn’t one, but that it’s, let’s say, not extremely visible.

That being said, I like using my “psychic” abilities here, and have a pretty decent “solve average”. :-)

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.