create containers to have different backgrounds

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks create containers to have different backgrounds

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BossLady 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

webkitchen
    Participant

I’m using the going green template for a blogging site for my daughter (she is going to Africa as a volunteer) . Before I had problems seeing the background images on media like a Iphone or small laptop. So I changed the wrap part in the css as the Studiopress helpdesk adviced me. It looks fine. But now I’m looking the site at explorer 8 and again the background images (under the header, as wel as the red ones at the footer) are missing.

I asked the helpdesk and they said: “IE8 does not support the multiple background code used in this theme to generate this effect so it will not show the top/bottom background.” Unfortunately the whole group for whom I’m designing and building the site uses IE 8 and nothing else.

So I asked the helpdesk again (thank you helpdesk!!)  and they said: ” You can create a couple of extra containers and set those to have different backgrounds and set those to have absolute positioning. It will take a bit of customizing to make it have the same effect”

But it stops here for I’m able to do a little bit of css editing, but nothing more (I’m more a designer than a builder).

Can anyone help me out and tell me in simple words how I can do this?

I use the theme on two sites: On this one I’m still busy with it: http://www.robinleek.nl/cms/ and this is the bloggin site of my daughter:  http://www.ninaleek.nl/

Thanks a lot!

Chris Cree
    Participant

This may not be helpful, but it would be a whole lot easier on your end to just choose background image/font color combinations that still work when stupid IE8 doesn’t show the background images.

If you could encourage them to use a decent browser such as Chrome or even FireFox, then everyone wins. Both are free.

webkitchen
    Participant

I wish I could, but I can’t. If it’s just for one customer then it would be much easier. I am making this website for an office where it’s the ICT department who decides which browser they use. I just have to deal with it :-(

Chris Cree
    Participant

I feel for you. I’ve worked in corporate settings where the IT department kept everything so locked down and out of date that it was frustrating.

BossLady
    Participant

I’m looking for info on containers as well before posting a thread and came across this one. My comment is completely irrelevant to your issue, but I just wanted to tell you I peeked to see if it was resolved and your site is fantastic!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.