custom background image for MAGAZINE theme?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks custom background image for MAGAZINE theme?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  amandaotaylor 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

worldviewpr
    Participant

I like the background image shown in the demo of METRO PRO and would like some like that for halfwaytoconcord, currently in eleven40 but on its way to MAGAZINE by way of NEWS (lol)

The Startup does not explain much except for slider and feature post widgets. What I want to know is how one can add a custom background image?

Would this be a hook job?

thanks

http://halfwaytoconcord.com

braddalton
    Participant

Simply use the built in Custom Background feature under Appearance > Background.

wildwebwest
    Participant

I’m building a new site at http://schnellermanufacturing.com

On the new Magazine Pro Theme, I would also like a custom background. I’m a designer and use Genesis themes exclusively BUT…. I don’t have the custom background feature under Appearance > Background.

Everything is brand new installed so is there any advice?

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by  wildwebwest. Reason: Forgot to check Notify me of followup replies via email
    • This reply was modified 12 months ago by  wildwebwest. Reason: Forgot to check Notify me of followup replies via email

wildwebwest
    Participant

Worldviewpr… I visited your halfwaytoconcord.com site and see you still have a white background too. Are you showing a menu item at Appearance > Background in the newest HTML5 version of Magazine Pro?

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

worldviewpr
    Participant

Hi wildwebwest, happy to share my experience.

To answer your question, no I do not see any reference to Background” settings in the admin of Mag Pro.

That said.

I assume you are talking not about background color in the site container but the background on rest of page. If so you may want to look at wp-backstretch

http://reaktivstudios.com/store/wp-backstretch/

It is a premium plugin by Andrew Norcross but does the job. I tried it and was able to add backgrounds easily.

It just turns out like the clean white back ground of Mag Pro and felt adding a background—for my purposes—might add too much for the eye. That’s me. I am sure you can use it judiciously for your own clients.

best to you and good luck.

bgr

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by  worldviewpr. Reason: calrification
    • This reply was modified 12 months ago by  worldviewpr. Reason: calrification

braddalton
    Participant

Try this @wildwebwest
    [php]
    //* Add support for custom background
    add_theme_support( ‘custom-background’ );
    [/php]

wildwebwest
    Participant

@Worldviewpr thank you for your response. I do prefer to use theme support code that is native to Genesis. But thanks.

@BradDalton THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I very much appreciate the snippet! That should do the trick and was not familiar with that particular snippet.

Have a great weekend and upcoming holiday!

Sincerely
    mary

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

iPatrona
    Participant

@braddalton
    where would i put that code to allow for a custom background

askmediy

You would add that to your functions.php of the theme you want to change. However I would think you will need to do some css coding.

iPatrona
    Participant

@askmediy

I put the code in, but won’t load the background image.
    the “background” option does now appear in the admin under appearance though.

iPatrona
    Participant

@askmediy
    Also it doesn’t give me all the options under background that are found in the original “magazine ” theme

iPatrona
    Participant

never mind fixed it.
    it won’t work if you upload the image from your hardrive. you have to upload it to library first then select it from there. then all other options appear after.
    ty

askmediy

I believe this theme wasn’t made for a background so you’ll have to do some css coding. Let me know how it looks

worldviewpr
    Participant

I agree.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  worldviewpr. Reason: remove followups
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  worldviewpr. Reason: remove followups

meltdown

As this theme was not designed to have a background image, is it possible to change the opacity to create a background color to display the content?

My site is here: strangewaysemporium.com/wp/

Thank you :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.