Custom Blog Page Template

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Custom Blog Page Template

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

suzyo
    Participant

I want to use the Content Archive tool in order to display title, thumbnail on left and maybe an excerpt, and apply it to category results only.

My home page is the blog page. I do not want those posts to be affected.

I know that I need to code a custom blog page template so that my blog displays full posts and my category archives display excerpts.

Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.

braddalton
    Participant

Try this http://www.briangardner.com/tutorials/blog-page-single-category/

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

suzyo
    Participant

Dear Brad,

Hi, and thanks for your response. While Brian Gardner’s tut about giving multiple categories their own blogs is interesting (thank you), it is not what I need right now.

I have attached two screenshots, “Current Cat Result” and “Desired Cat Result”. (Obviously my email was returned as undeliverable, and I cannot attach images here. I need to use the blog page as my home page. I need the category results pages to LOOK different from the home page. I cannot use Genesis Featured Widget Amplified on my homepage because it does not bring the formatting from the posts, that’s why I have to use the blog page as the home page.)

My question concerns formatting. I want the category search result formatting to be different from the post/blog formatting.

Should I use conditional tags, create a new template, or use some other method in order to implement the formatting?

Can you help? Thank you.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  suzyo.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  suzyo.

braddalton
    Participant

Maybe this will help http://www.studiopress.com/forums/topic/make-home-page-and-archives-distinct/#post-51148

suzyo
    Participant

Ugh. The answer is that I need to write a new loop, isn’t it?

suzyo
    Participant

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand…Eleanor Roosevelt said something like “You must do the thing you fear the most.” I will report back when finished.

braddalton
    Participant

Yes or tweak the code so the archive excerpts aren’t effected when you filter the output of the default excerpt function

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.