Custom Front Page (in ANY theme) and Yoast SEO Plug-in Issues

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Custom Front Page (in ANY theme) and Yoast SEO Plug-in Issues

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sdbroker 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sdbroker
    Participant

I have noticed that when using the front page on any theme as it comes to display posts, thus allowing the use of widgets to customize it, the SEO plug-in’s XML sitemap does NOT include the website on the 2 sitemaps that it submits to Google.

The only way that it includes the website on the sitemaps is if you use a static page as the front page in which case you cannot use the widgets to customize it. Is there any way to get around this issue and have the widgetized front page (website.com) included in the sitemap? For example use it as a static page but have the ability to include the custom page’s widgets on top of that page’s content?

tnorthcutt
    Participant

I may be asking a question with an obvious answer, but why do you want the base url included in the sitemap?

Want to improve your freelancing business? I teach how to do that my blog and email list: travisnorthcutt.com.

sdbroker
    Participant

For the same reason that you want your name and your business address listed. You got to let the engines know what your main address is… don’t you? It a bit harder and slower to find you from just giving them the suite numbers.

Used Google Sitemaps for years and my name (not Smith :)) has always been on top of the search results. A week after I replaced GS with the Yoast Sitemap (that doesn’t include the homepage) my name, among other keywords that the homepage was optimized for, dropped to 6th plus page of the results. As soon as I went back to Google sitemaps, everything came back to normal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.