Custom layout for static front page Streamline

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Custom layout for static front page Streamline

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mbloksma 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mbloksma
    Participant

I’m using the Streamline Child Theme. I’d like to set a static front page. But when I set a static front page the layout is all mixed up. What I would like is that the static front page has the same layout as when I would choose for the latest post.

So, I would like to have this static front page with the layout of my latest posts.

Hope someone can help me!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  mbloksma.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  mbloksma.

TishaOehmen
    Participant

I’m sure I’m missing something here: if you want the latest posts to show up on the home page, why do you need to set a static home page? What is different about the home page you’re trying to create vs the dynamic posts home page?

Tisha Oehmen, Paradux Media Group
    Twitter: @TishaOehmen

Bill Murray
    Participant

The WP terms can be confusing.

I think what mbloksma wants is a widgetized home page, but not a home page that displays a dynamic blog page where dynamic means that as new posts are published, they appear automatically.

One might think that “static home page” would produce that, but that’s not the way it works. The static home page option just grabs the content of a single page. It puts the burden on the user to make that page look the way he or she wants.

@mbloksma, You can get what you want using the latest Streamline theme, but it will be a bit of customization. Here’s a brief outline of what you would need to do:

Option #1 – Set your Settings->Reading Front page displays to Your latest posts.

1) add a widget area (to make it easy for you to customize the home page)
    2) put that widget area in home.php and remove the call to the standard genesis loop, which is producing the loop of posts
    3) modify the child theme’s CSS to support the new widget area you created (including the mobile responsive media queries)

Option #2 – Set your Settings->Reading Front page displays to A static page

1) Use a plugin (there are several) that allow you to put widgets on pages
    2) Create a static page as you have done and add the existing widgets you want to give that static page the content you want
    3) Adjust the child theme’s CSS (which probably didn’t contemplate widgets on pages)

Option #3 – Use a page template

1) Following the concept in Option #2, create a page template that includes the existing widget areas (no need for plugin)
    2) Set the template for this page to be that template

Option #3 is probably the best route in that it doesn’t involve modifying the child theme as much; a page template can be turned on or off as needed.

Hope that helps.

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

mbloksma
    Participant

Thnx Bill Murray. That was what I was looking for. I think I will go for option #3. Hopefully I am able to make a custom page template!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Custom layout for static front page Streamline’ is closed to new replies.