Custom Logo issues for Eleven40 theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Custom Logo issues for Eleven40 theme

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  afinevo 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

afinevo
    Participant

Hey everyone, my site is All Garage Floors and I’m trying to install a custom logo.

I’ve uploaded my logo into the image folder of my eleven40 theme and renamed it logo.png and renamed the original logo1.png.  I then went into my CSS to change the logo size from 78px x 265px to 90px x 350px since the one I want to use it a little bit larger.  I also changed the logo from dynamic text to image.

I then followed previous instructions by replacing background: url(images/logo-texture.png); with background: url(images/logo.png) no-repeat;.  I then removed all of “title before” and “title after”.  After all of that I’m still getting the blue background.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shea

http://allgaragefloors.com

John
    Participant

Shea,

The real fix for that is a little more complex, but I’m sitting down right now to write a blog post explaining how to do it the right (best?) way. I should have this posted by tomorrow morning if all goes well.

John

John Sundberg | blackhillswebworks.com
    A WordPress developer’s toolbox: Firebug | WordPress Codex | Google ;)

dev
    Participant

At the end  your theme’s  functions.php file you can add:
    `
    add_theme_support( ‘genesis-custom-header’, array(
    ‘width’ => xxx,
    ‘height’ => yyy
    ) );
    `

… changing the width and height to your own dimensions. Then use the Appearance, Header screen to upload your image… and that’s that.

afinevo
    Participant

OK John, thanks.  I look forward to finding the right way to do this.  It seems like it’s hit and miss for everyone trying to do this.  I wish Studiopress would have allowed for this in the beginning.  I love everything about this theme except the ability to easily upload a logo of choice.  I decided trying to add a header image above the menu wasn’t even worth it.

Dev, are you saying that by adding that code to the end of the functions.php file I will have a header section under appearance that will allow me to upload an image to the height and width specified in the code?

dev
    Participant

No, I’m saying that by using the code, you can then use the “regular” WordPress method for adding a header/logo image… which is under Appearance, Header on the left admin menu.

I don’t know for sure but I believe the above is the accepted “Genesis way” for adding a header image.

I believe there are some plugins that help with this chore, but for me, the first thing I do is find out what the dimensions of the header graphic is and plug it in the code above which I pop in my functions.php. Then I do the image upload (or select from Media Lib) via the Appearance, Header screen.

John
    Participant

afinevo
    Participant

Thanks John, I have a few questions before I attempt this.

Do I need to reverse any of the changes that I had made up to this point in my CSS files or does it make any difference?  I can’t find any reference to lines 1 thru 7 of your CSS example in my CSS style sheet.  The lines I have removed at this point make reference to “background” in #title before and #title after.

Regarding “add support for custom header” in functions.php.  I don’t have that in my theme.  I assume that is OK then?

Lastly, do I just add the “filter genesis title function” at the bottom of the functions.php file?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Shea

John
    Participant

Shea,

In the eleven40 style.css the selector that matches my example would be #header .wrap, I believe, which you should find at line 183, and you’ll probably want to comment out the min-height: 90px; for that selector.

If “add support for custom header” isn’t there then you’re a step ahead already!

And yes, adding the additional code to the bottom of functions.php is your best choice. Perhaps I should add that information to my post.

John

afinevo
    Participant

Hey John,

I now have a sample logo up, but there is an area to the right that happens to be the site’s tag line that is bunched together like a paragraph.  It runs from the black nav bar down into the white space.  What did I miss??

Thanks!

Shea

John
    Participant

I wondered if that was going to happen. Add this code to the bottom of your functions.php to remove the site description:

`
    /**
    * Remove the site description
    * @link http://www.briangardner.com/code/remove-header-elements/
    */

remove_action( ‘genesis_site_description’, ‘genesis_seo_site_description’ );
    `

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  John. Reason: clarification
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  John. Reason: clarification

afinevo
    Participant

Thanks John, that did it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Custom Logo issues for Eleven40 theme’ is closed to new replies.