Custom Page & Post in Minimum 2.0

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Custom Page & Post in Minimum 2.0

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  arnold.watson@att.net 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

arnold.watson@att.net
    Participant

What I’m wanting to do it create a few pages, for example the pages will be called ‘Dog’, ‘Cat’ and ‘Mouse’.

There will be a bit of static content at the top of each page and below that I would like to display all posts from a selected category.

So on the dog page I would write some static content saying what a dog was and then call in all the posts within the category ‘dogposts’ which will be displayed below.

Is this possible? I know about organizing categories but I don’t want posts in the ‘dogposts’ category to be displayed on the front page, just on the dog page. I would also like to be able to insert static content before/above the posts as mentioned.

Dorian Speed
    Participant

I think I would go with using the built-in Category Archive rather than a specific page template, although there are several ways to do what you’re doing.

Go into Posts > Categories and click “Edit” under whatever category it is you’d like to customize. You’ll be taken to a page with Category Archive Settings, including a headline for the Archive and a field for intro text. I believe that field will take HTML so you could include images, etc., just using the HTML code. I don’t know how familiar you are with HTML but if you’re not sure how to do that, the easiest thing would be to go compose a post that looks the way you want that introduction to go (including any images you want to display) and then switch from “Visual” to “Text” in the post editor. Highlight all of the HTML, copy it, and go paste it into that Category Archive intro text field.

You can then style it further with CSS if you’d like. You can decide if you want to show the full content of each post by going into your Genesis theme settings for “content archive.”

If you wanted to get more complicated, like “on posts in the ‘Cat’ category, show the full content, but for posts in the ‘Dog’ category, show an excerpt,” then that would require the use of page templates.

To add it to your menu, just choose the “Dog” category and it will automatically show the archive description, I believe.

Bringing websites Up to Speed
    Firebug will light the way to understanding the secrets of the Internet!

arnold.watson@att.net
    Participant

Dorian Speed,

Thank you so very much for your expedient response. I have tested out your method and it works flawlessly and to my exact expectations…kudos to you!

Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.