Customer needs additional sub page templates

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Customer needs additional sub page templates

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sasser
    Participant

I have a customer that needs additional sub page templates. The aim is to “install” several sub page templates that each have their own inherent navigational menue i.e. sub pages that have at least one column that may be filled with widgets that are special only to that special sub page template. You follow?

Is there a do-it-yourself-manual for this or do I need to engage a Studiopress producer to do this?

What could the price be to have, let’s say, 5 sub page templates in this manner? Please feel free to contact me off-forum if necessary at: sasser (at) sasser.net.

What do I need to know when there is a new update of the theme or Genesis Framework?
    Will the added templates be erased when there is a new Genesis-update, for instance?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Sasser.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Sasser.

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    That’s a lot of questions! :-) I’ll handle one of them. If you need just different sidebar navigation, as opposed to completely new templates, you could save some money and try Genesis Simple Sidebars. It works great. I have one client who goes absolutely berserk with menus and other stuff in sidebars (too much, IMO), so this is my solution to that craziness.

You could create as many custom menus as you want, and then on a page you can choose to swap in a new sidebar that contains a particular custom menu and/or other goodies.

As to the other stuff, you’d have the same concerns about updating as with any WP theme, and that’s a bigger topic. And yes, if you customize the style.css and/or functions.php, for instance, if your child theme is an official Genesis theme, you will lose those changes when you update, so you’ll want to back them up first.

And of course, you could hire me for help with any of this stuff. ;)

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Sasser
    Participant

Great I tried your solution today and it meets the demand perfectly. Thanks!

David Chu
    Participant

Super!
    Glad it helped.

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.