Customize Footer Metro Theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Customize Footer Metro Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  anitac 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

JestersTear
    Participant

I was trying to help before realising that it’s the forum hopelessly mangling code, instead of a specific mistake in the code itself. Will come back if I think of something useful!

Monica | jesterstear on twitter | monicaguerraleiria.com

snakeair
    Participant

Jester use the php tags when posting code.
    [*php]code stuff in here[/*php]

Example without the * characters

<?php echo 'Hello World'; ?>

Mike Gosling
    Participant

Hi Anitac, Thank you for your suggestion. I placed this code from the snippets folder into the functions.php file:

/** Customize the entire footer */
    remove_action( 'genesis_footer', 'genesis_do_footer' );
    add_action( 'genesis_footer', 'custom_footer' );
    function custom_footer() {
        ?>
        <p>&copy; Copyright 2012 <a href="http://mydomain.com/">My Domain</a> &middot; All Rights Reserved &middot; Powered by <a href="http://wordpress.org/">WordPress</a> &middot; <a href="http://mydomain.com/wp-admin">Admin</a></p>
        <?php
    }

What happens is the same as reported in my first post here. The footer appears in foot of the left column content section and not in the page footer. I have left it in my site for you to see. Please go to http://mikegosling.com. So it seems this snippet is insufficient for the Metro Theme.

Thanks, Mike

Dr. Mike Gosling, The Emotional Leader Program

RickRDuncan
    Participant

Hey Mike,

The code I presented should have done the trick. I’ve used it on a second website since I originally posted the code. Feel free to send me an email at rick@wpsyntax.com and lets work something out to get your footer where it needs to be.

-rd

-Rick R. Duncan
    RVAMedia.com

anitac
    Participant

Okay, we are at two pages of this… Mike, go to my website and send me an email with your email address. I can help you remotely from here. We can hook up and I can take a look at what you have. I use Join.me and can take control of your computer from here. Looking forward to helping you out.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Mike Gosling
    Participant

Well I apologize to everyone that this has gone on and on. The functions.php file really had me flummoxed! And thank you Rick for your email and to Anitac for the offer of online help. I shall keep these in mind.

And I apologize to you too Rick – Your code has indeed worked!! I sat down and really studied it and the bit that I had not inserted was the line: add_action( 'genesis_after', 'custom_genesis_do_footer', 12 );

It all now works perfectly! Take a look – http://www.MikeGosling.com. Having the Footer widgets makes it all very easy to set up. Thank you all for persevering with me. I’ve learnt heaps and express my gratitude that you folks are out there willing to help.

For other Metro Theme users, here is Rick’s excellent code I used to insert my footer widgets. I wonder if this code would work with other themes?

// Reposition the footer

remove_action( 'genesis_footer', 'genesis_footer_markup_open', 5 );
    remove_action( 'genesis_footer', 'genesis_do_footer' );
    remove_action( 'genesis_footer', 'genesis_footer_markup_close', 15 );
    add_action( 'genesis_after', 'genesis_footer_markup_open', 11 );
    add_action( 'genesis_after', 'custom_genesis_do_footer', 12 );
    add_action( 'genesis_after', 'genesis_footer_markup_close', 13 );
    // Customize the content of your footer
    function custom_genesis_do_footer() {
     echo '<div class="gototop"><p>';
     dynamic_sidebar( 'footer-left' );
     echo '</p></div>';
     echo '<div class="creds"><p>';
     dynamic_sidebar( 'footer-right' );
     echo '</p></div>';
    }
    // Register left side footer area
    genesis_register_sidebar( array(
     'id' => 'footer-left',
     'name' => __( 'Footer Left', 'CHILD_THEME_NAME' ),
     'description' => __( 'This is the left side of the footer.', 'CHILD_THEME_NAME' ),
    ) );
    // Register right side footer area
    genesis_register_sidebar( array(
     'id' => 'footer-right',
     'name' => __( 'Footer Right', 'CHILD_THEME_NAME' ),
     'description' => __( 'This is the right side of the footer.', 'CHILD_THEME_NAME' ),
    ) );

Dr. Mike Gosling, The Emotional Leader Program

RickRDuncan
    Participant

Hey Mike,

You’re welcome. I’m happy to hear that you got it all working. I looked at your website and it looks great. Making those two footer sections widgetized really makes it easy to switch things around without having to touch the functions.php file.

-rd

-Rick R. Duncan
    RVAMedia.com

anitac
    Participant

Okay. So then what you were looking for was to “widgetize” the footer area…. not “customize” the text in the already existing footer, which are the different solutions I was providing to you. I guess language and terminology really do make a difference. Glad you got it resolved.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.