Customize sidebar list

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Customize sidebar list

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TobyElwin 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

TobyElwin
    Participant

My current sidebar widgets could use a bit of space between entries and some different style. I am not sure where/what/how to modify, despite using Firebug to poke around.

Here is an example of what I might want to modify it to.

Toby Elwin

http://www.tobyelwin.com/blog

dono@inquarta.com
    Participant

Hey Toby – Let me suggest you start by using Firebug on the resource page example you gave. Take a look at what they’ve done, and see if that gives you inspiration.
    The where / what / how of this is 99% modifying the css of your child theme, and most likely you’ll be writing some new css to get your desired effect.
    A “secret” that I keep coming back to is that most every element in Genesis is wrapped in its own id attribute, followed by a class. So a lot of the parts of the Framework are referenced in this pattern.
    For example, a widget named ‘Home Widget 1′ might have an id of #HomeWidget1 followed by a class .widget-class … so you can get into the css and be pretty specific about the scope of the style you want to assign.
    Give that a shot, maybe by modifying the background color only of the id you’re after, see if you get some success, and then you’ll be able to refine your choices pretty easily.
    -D

TobyElwin
    Participant

Thank you for the suggestions, I just need to carve the time for the research and to map out the approach. I will follow up if I get it done.

I just changed my site after 4 years of Thesis over to Genesis, interesting trade offs between the two.

Toby Elwin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.