Customizing Blog Page Overridden by Default Child Theme Template

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Customizing Blog Page Overridden by Default Child Theme Template

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mmi
    Participant

I’m trying to create a customized layout for my blog page.  I have put in my own versions of the page_blog.php and page_archive.php files into my child theme (Agentpress), but it seems to only default to the original Genesis or Agentpress layout and ignoring the customized page templates.

I have read and followed the tutorial on how to create a custom blog: http://designsbynickthegeek.com/tutorials/creating-page-templates-in-genesis, but this does not seem to have any effect.

Any help to this issue would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

http://moodyrambin.mmidevsite2.com/about/news-media

anitac
    Participant

Layouts and templates are two different things. Are you trying to use the Layout that you see in the Layout area of each post/page? Or are you trying to use the drop down under the Page Template?

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

mmi
    Participant

I’m trying to use the drop down in the page template.  What’s puzzling is that in the template I have developed, I have put in the remove_action code to take out some of the Genesis defaults, as well as adding in a customized body class and the blog and archive pages don’t seem to be reading any of them.

I even went so far as to erase the page_blog and page_archive templates out of the Genesis theme and even that did not seem to work.

Ideas?

anitac
    Participant

No, I have no idea. But I do recommend not modifying the Genesis Framework. Any changes you make in there will be overridden on updates. I’ll send out a tweet on this.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

mmi
    Participant

Thanks.  Any other help would be appreciated.

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    Definitely hard to say without being hands-on. And messing with core Genesis files, as Anita said, is clearly asking for trouble, essentially voiding your warrantee. I’m guessing that you’re a WordPress themer and someone handed you Genesis for the first time? :-)

I don’t use Genesis-specific hooks and filters in separate template files. But that’s just my preference for having things centralized and findable in functions.php. And as Nick shows, it can be done in the template fiiles if you’d like. The first obvious thing to check would be to see if you have Nick’s genesis() “load the framework” line in there at the bottom?

Another quickie test you can do to make sure you’re evoking your template is to just do what I do when nothing seems to work, just echo something-or-other and run it to make sure you’re hitting your code. Beyond that, possibly hands-on geek help needed.

Good luck,
    Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.