Customizing Genesis Responsive Slider

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Customizing Genesis Responsive Slider

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  davidzack 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

davidzack
    Participant

I’ve been experimenting with customizing the display of the responsive slider. I found one very helpful tutorial here, but I’d like to take it further.

Specifically, I like to create a custom post type for my home page sliders, so that the slider can be configured to display unique content, instead of standard post or page data.

I’d like to figure out how I can add a few custom fields (using either Advanced Custom Fields or Bill Erickson’s Custom Metaboxes) and including that content in the slide. So instead of just showing an image and content/excerpt, I could also add a series of other fields. For instance, I’d like to give the user the option to select whether the featured image will be left or right aligned in each slide. Then the rendering of the slider could wrap each slide in a “left” or “right” class. The image position and displayed text content could then take their positioning based on that class. (This would override the positioning options for the excerpt currently available in the Responsive Slider settings…)

This idea would theoretically also work for things, like Quote slides. We could have custom fields for the quote, person who said the quote, link to that person’s website, etc. And our page template would format that content to our design specifications. This would help the users to keep things consistent, rather than allowing them to post all that content freeform in the content area and hoping they keep their formatting consistent…

Okay, that’s enough late-night rambling. If anyone can make any suggestions or point me to a good tutorial, I’d be most appreciative.

Thanks.

Susan

As you posted this a while ago, I hope you got your issue resolved. If not, please let me know, and I will take a look (or escalate if I cannot help).

If it is resolved, please mark it resolved, so that the thread can be closed.

Thanks!

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

davidzack
    Participant

I never did. It looks like I would have to modify a core file of the plugin to render the custom fields, which would be a bad idea, since that could be lost with an update.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.